What kind of ferts do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 25g planted tank with a current nova x2 t5ho, co2 injection, and Eco complete substrate. I dose excel daily and and flourish once a week. is there anything else I need to be adding to my tank for proper growth?

pleechford said:
Have a 25g planted tank with a current nova x2 t5ho, co2 injection, and Eco complete substrate. I dose excel daily and and flourish once a week. is there anything else I need to be adding to my tank for proper growth?

I think that if you are injecting CO2 then you don't need to add excel..... It is an overkill

I agree. No need for excel if you have co2 unless you have algae or somethin. I would try some root tabs that you put in the substrate. There are API root tabs, and seachem flourish tabs, and maybe some others that I don't know about

George9 said:
I agree. No need for excel if you have co2 unless you have algae or somethin. I would try some root tabs that you put in the substrate. There are API root tabs, and seachem flourish tabs, and maybe some others that I don't know about

Okay no more excel then! So do I need root tabs even though I have Eco complete? They say it has all the macro nutrients needed but I didnt know if it was 100% truthful

pleechford said:
Okay no more excel then! So do I need root tabs even though I have Eco complete? They say it has all the macro nutrients needed but I didnt know if it was 100% truthful

Well, you don't NEED root tabs, but, eventually those nutrients will run out. I don't know how much of that is true either. But flourish and co2 is pretty good fertilization if everything is going good and you're getting some good growth. If you have crypts or swords, they will really benefit from root tabs because they're root feeders.

Really, I've read from many sources that EC doesn't really have a lot of nutrients. Maybe some micronutrients (Fe and such), but certainly not much of the major nutrients plants need to thrive (N & P), and limited K, enough such that I wouldn't trust it to be the primary source. Aquasoil, other nutrient laden substrates (I think Fluval has something out now), or MTS/Dirt would be more what I think of when people say nutrient containing substrate.

I would 100% advocate root tabs, especially if you have heavy root feeding species (crypts, swords, etc). You will need water column ferts though. I highly recommend dry ferts for high tech plants, as they allow you a degree of control over your tank that premixed fertilizers, like Flourish, simply cannot. You'll also save bank on the medium to long term, as with Flourish you're mostly paying for water.

George9 said:
Well, you don't NEED root tabs, but, eventually those nutrients will run out. I don't know how much of that is true either. But flourish and co2 is pretty good fertilization if everything is going good and you're getting some good growth. If you have crypts or swords, they will really benefit from root tabs because they're root feeders.

I have both! I am trying to make my sword my center piece but it still has a long way to go. It was a little fella. I am stoked to see it flourish with my new set up. Although I'm still trying to figure this co2 thing out. Should I cut it off at night or not? I've heard they both have the same results?? Also cutting the solenoid on and off constantly will shorten the life of the solenoid. Thoughts?

aqua_chem said:
Really, I've read from many sources that EC doesn't really have a lot of nutrients. Maybe some micronutrients (Fe and such), but certainly not much of the major nutrients plants need to thrive (N & P), and limited K, enough such that I wouldn't trust it to be the primary source. Aquasoil, other nutrient laden substrates (I think Fluval has something out now), or MTS/Dirt would be more what I think of when people say nutrient containing substrate.

I would 100% advocate root tabs, especially if you have heavy root feeding species (crypts, swords, etc). You will need water column ferts though. I highly recommend dry ferts for high tech plants, as they allow you a degree of control over your tank that premixed fertilizers, like Flourish, simply cannot. You'll also save bank on the medium to long term, as with Flourish you're mostly paying for water.

Okay that sounds good. Since I am a rookie at high tech tanks what are recommended dry ferts? I've done loads of research but short of dry ferts.

well the solenoid is made to go on and off at certain intervals, so I don't think it would hurt it. a Ph controller setup would have a solenoid working even harder since it'd be operating off and on throughout the day.

Look into E.I. dosing, root tabs help, but having a dosing routine will ensure that you have all the nutrients the plants need at all times.

pleechford said:
... Also cutting the solenoid on and off constantly will shorten the life of the solenoid. Thoughts?
Heat shortens the lifespan of a solenoid, not necessarily turning it on and off. When it's off it does not generate heat so the longer it is on the more heat it has to deal with. Good airflow is key to extending the life of a solenoid.

aqua_chem said:
This is what and where I recommend buying:

Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

It comes with nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and micros, and should last at LEAST a year or more. I would look up either EI dosing or PPMD for a regimen. I use EI myself.

Looked into this... Buying each separately only costs 3$ more and bags you an extra half pound of CSM+B and KH2PO4 each.

I bought all my dry ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com and couldn't be happier. I think I paid $36 shipped for a 1lb of KNO3, 1lb Barr's GH booster, 1lb Plantex CSM+B, 1lb of KH2PO4. I had been using the PPS Pro method with autodosers and had tremendous success.

meegosh said:
I bought all my dry ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com and couldn't be happier. I think I paid $36 shipped for a 1lb of KNO3, 1lb Barr's GH booster, 1lb Plantex CSM+B, 1lb of KH2PO4. I had been using the PPS Pro method with autodosers and had tremendous success.

That's great! I want to get involve with dry ferts but i dont know where to begin. I dont know what I need or how to dose. I've done some research and it's pretty confusing and overwhelming.

Looked into this... Buying each separately only costs 3$ more and bags you an extra half pound of CSM+B and KH2PO4 each.

The thing is though that you are dosing half the amount of micros and phosphate as you are nitrate, so you're not really getting that much more for your money.

Back
Top Bottom