What kind of plant is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0mmab2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What have I gotten myself into? The girl at Petco said I didn't need to do anything special for this plant just drop it in. But I'm reading that may not be the case. Don't even know what it is it was labeled "assorted" plants. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415660550.608263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That looks like Dracaena. Very common and indestructible houseplant.

I don't believe it's aquatic, nor even semi-aquatic. My best advice is to remove it and pot it up in a sunny window, and hope for the best. :)

That looks like Dracaena. Very common and indestructible houseplant.

I don't believe it's aquatic, nor even semi-aquatic. My best advice is to remove it and pot it up in a sunny window, and hope for the best. :)

Yah.. petco sells semi aquatic plants for turtle and reptile tanks, to I'm could probably take it back for a refund if you told the employee your exact plans for said plant?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well crap! It was completely submerged in one of the tanks sold as aquatic plant. I told her I was putting it in a goldfish tank. But they did have bamboo offered as an aquatic plant and I wasn't sure if it could be completely submerged in the tank. So that stinks!

Did you buy the "mixed assortment"
combo pack? I bought one of these awhile back. Came with that same plant. I planted it anyway...but I'm keeping a close eye on it. Seems ok so far but it's early yet.

looks like Petsmart called it a ribbon plant labeled as semi aquatic. Reviews were mixed. I just bought the one plant from a tank. They were all all the same.

Well crap! It was completely submerged in one of the tanks sold as aquatic plant. I told her I was putting it in a goldfish tank. But they did have bamboo offered as an aquatic plant and I wasn't sure if it could be completely submerged in the tank. So that stinks!

The lucky "bamboo" they have is also Dracaena. ;-)

Most of the plants they keep in there are super easy to propagate, and root quickly in water, but never last completely underwater.

Should be able to find some pretty good plants on the racks in bags with gel, or tubes with gel for decent prices. Not sure if your PetSmart/Co has them, but they should. I've had decent luck with them. You should check next time you're out.

I had this plant in my first goldfish tank... It was a big no-no for me. It did good during the first two months and then it just crashed. As said above it's a semi-aquatic. Long exposure to a fully aquatic environment destroys it in the end, leaves start to disintegrate and so on, very good houseplant tho and good for terrariums and ripariums. For aquatic use: simply no.

Sent per three-eyed raven...

If the leaves feel waxy, it is not aquatic. If the leaves are slick, it is aquatic. Or so I've heard.

Will rot and die after a while. Customer returns to store and asks store why it died. Store sells customer all sorts of uneeded fertilisers, lights and so on....

This is the way of the world

Massive profit making companies preying on people with a lack of knowledge.

We'll all come across this at some stage of our lives, not always in the aquatics hobby

I dunno if there's that much of a motive behind it as much as they sell them because the farms supply them and they are easy to store and look good without much help. That said, the farms I deal with always list the dracaena plants as terrarium use. It seems like the big boxers are the ones who tend to carry them so it could also be a combination of employee ignorance, management ignorance, or lack of care as well.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I think i just have a problem with big stores Jeta.

Poor advice
Poor fish conditions
Poor plant choices

Huge generalisation, not all the same. Speaking from my experiences

Back
Top Bottom