What Moss Would Work Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I made a tunnel out of my gravel and PVC pipe and attached it using aquarium-safe silicone about five months ago. I'm interested in covering my tunnel with moss to add to my planted tank effect. If you look in my attached photo, you can see what I'm talking about.

I want to make it a fluffy moss that will cover the whole thing. How much moss would I need and what kind? I was planning on buying like a 6 by 6 inch square of the moss online and allowing it to spread over the tunnel naturally. What's the best way to do this?

By the way, I will be leaving the rocks on the tunnel, so that will give the moss something to attach to.

If you like my tunnel, I used this tutorial to make it:

DIY Aquarium Cave using a PVC pipe

Attachments

• IMG_20120918_185228.jpg
    IMG_20120918_185228.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 112
What kind of lighting do you have, and what size tank? That will help determine if you have options for different mosses, or any moss at all.

Also, it would appear you have some Ophiopogon Japonica planted in the foreground there. It is not an aquatic plant, and will not survive long term fully submerged. It will live for awhile, but eventually it will die. Best to remove it once it starts to turn so it doesn't rot in your water.

I have a 36 gallon tank with a 36 inch fluorescent light at the top. Also, are you serious about that plant? I bought it on eBay and the guy said it was aquatic... What should I do with it if it can't live underwater? I did notice that it turned yellow shortly after I placed it in my tank.

Is it just a single t8 bulb? Do you have the wattage if you aren't sure on the t size?

If it is a single t-8, really the only moss I would recommend is java moss. It will work well for this application. I would recommend tieing it onto the tunnel with fishing line. Eventually, the moss will attach itself to the stones, but in the mean time, the fishing line will be almost invisible, and will hold it in place.

You can put the O Japonica in a pot, or you can leave it in the tank until it starts to really turn on you. It won't hurt anything until the leaves start to rot. Unfortunately it is commonly sold as aquatic, but it is not.

How big of a square should I buy of the Java Moss? I believe it's sold in sizes like 6 x 6 inches, 3 x 3, etc. I was planning to spend the least amount of money possible. So if it's possible to buy a 6 x 6 square and spread it out and wait for it to naturally fill in, that would be great.

Also, I did a bit of research and found this :

How to Grow and Care for Mondo Grass in Containers

I think I will be placing it in a pot to put outside or something. That's really disappointing as I liked that plant. Does it grow in standard potting soil or dirt from my backyard?

I would use potting soil.

A 6X6 square will probably get you by. Just spread it thin and it will grow in within a couple of months.

If you do plan on updating your lighting, personally Flame moss is my favorite. It requires a decent amount of light though.

I've got flame moss in one of the tanks and love the upright growth but if your wanting full coverage then java moss really would be the way to go. BTW I love what you did with the gravel on the PVC!

Flame moss looks great, so does christmas moss because it has more of a pine forest look, you should check them out.

Back
Top Bottom