what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choiwayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all. i'm kinda stuck now. please, i need your xpert advice here. i had my 55gal fresh community tank now for 6 yrs now. over the years, grew some java moss and jave ferns mostly. then, about 6 moths ago, i got orbit 48" 260w lights. i had it setup with 2 timer switch, which have 130 watt for 10 hrs long and other 130 watts for 4 hrs. (from 11 AM to 2 PM) then i heard i need to setup CO2 tank to make my plat grow really well. so i did. i bought a CO2 tank (Hagen Plant Grow Natural System with CO2) and also made DIY CO2 tank with 2 litre coke bottle. also, i bought more plants for foregound affect. i purchased micro sword. now, its been almost 2 months, and my micro sword looks the same. what am i doing wrong?

thank you.

-55gallon
-Fluval x 2
-Orbit 48" 260w
-DIY CO2 tank (2 litre coke)
-Hagen Plant Grow Natural System with CO2
-java moss, fern and micro sword
-bunch of fancy tail guppies

we need to make sure that your CO2 concentrations or ppm is up to the right level before you see any effect. This can be measure by a PH/KH comparison. If you have those test kits, please post the test results. If you don't have the KH test, you will need to get one in order to understand if your CO2 is working.

Do you have an airstone in the tank? Do you dose any fertilizers?

Test results for PO4 and NO3 would also be helpful. Plus a list of what fertilizers you are dosing including amount and frequency.

In addition to the advice above: What kind of substrate do you have. It is my understanding that swords are heavy root feeders. If you do not have a nutrient rich substrate then you will need to put in some root tabs. They are fertilizer tabs that get placed in the substrate around the root area and feed the plant. Just like the Miracle Grow fertilizer sticks for flowers.

It'll likely take two 1gallon jugs of DIY mixture to be enough for a 55gallon tanks CO2 needs.

The airstone is removing CO2 from your tank as well.

There's no CO2 test kit you need. Rather, test pH, and test Kh of the water and report those.
You also need PO4 (Phosphate) and NO3 (Nitrate) test kits if you intend on keeping a high light planted tank.

High light, CO2 injection = lots of maintenance. fert dosing several times a week, weekly 50% water changes, pruning, etc.

ok.. i didnt know swords were heavy root feeders. i will get some tabs in. and yes, i do have air stones in there. i will remove it. also, i always have mine set to ph lvl of 7.
thanx all.

Back
Top Bottom