What now? BBA Removal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

I've had a BBA problem for the past several months. Well, I finally got serious about getting rid of it beyond just trying to manually pick it off (was a loosing fight).

So, I've been treating with Excel and it has gone pretty well I think. Most, if not all of the BBA is now red.

So, now what? Do I still need to go through here and pick it all off by hand and also cut it off the plants? It will stink being as this is a 55g and it is everywhere... but I can do it. How quickly does that need to happen as I can't see being able to get that done in one sitting.

Granted, most is on my centerpiece driftwood but I'm really thinking about trashing it as it takes up most of my tank. I was thinking of splitting it in 2-3 pieces and seeing if I can come up with other hiding places.

when i had it turned red and died i added a power head and they help get it off the plants. other then pulling it out bit by bit not sure if any other better way.

I already have a power head for my CO2. Hopefully it will because it would be a massive cleanup!

Once Flourish Excel has killed it the dead algae will just fall off the plants. I would keep treating your tank a little longer just to be on the safe side.

I don't know if you will see it or not, but BBA fixes HCO3 (biogenic decalcification.) Anyways, after mine died & rotted off, a white layer of calcium deposit is left stuck on the rocks/driftwood under the algae, I STILL have to scrub that off! :(

Reactions: cwt
Back
Top Bottom