What plant care products do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to pick up a plant or two this weekend. I still haven't replaced my lighting yet, so would some java moss, java fern, or anubias be able to live under a T8? I would attach them to the driftwood, so they would be pretty close to the light rather than at the bottom of the tank.

Other than that, I know several of you had mentioned that I should get Seachem Flourish Excel along with a few other products. Could someone just give me a simple list of products that I would need to grow the plants that I mentioned. Once I get the first couple of plants in there I don't plan on adding anymore for a while, so any products I buy would just have to sustain 2-3 plants.

Excel, and Flourish Comprehensive(or equivalent) should be good to start with. If you start to see yellowing of the Anubias leaves try some API Leafzone.

For those plants you may not even need the ferts or Excel. Check my latest 75G post to see what I'm growing with no ferts or Excel, and just a shop light with 4 T8 bulbs on my 75G. It's considered low light, and I have very minimal algae issues, if any. The fish keep the plants fertalized. For the Java Moss, you don't need Excel or ferts if you have fish, does just fine. If you add ferts and Excel, it may take off on you and you'll have a lot of maintenance keeping it looking good. It grows like crazy.

I agree with lonewolf, perhaps just wait it out and don't use anything with just a couple plants as you mentioned. MAYBE pick up some flourish down the line and maybe dose once a week or every other. Your lighting will sustain any of the plants you are thinking about growing, and I wouldn't waste your money on loading up with fertilizers.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I had to order some stuff last night so I just went ahead and ordered some flourish and comprehensive. I'll hold off on using it and see how the plants do. I guess it won't hurt to have the stuff

Your plants will certainly live but they will not thrive with t8 lighting. I have t8's currently and while my plants look as good as when i acquired them, the only growth i have really achieved is with my amazon sword. Using more fertilizers and dosing CO2 goes hand in hand with lighting, if you increase fertilization you must have enough light to properly stimulae photosynthesis. I have excel and acquired the macro-micro nutrient fertilizer from aquariumfertilizersdotcom. i have noticed that my plants that require more light are starting to yellow. I just recently acquired a t5 on ebay so we will see how my plants react.

I am planning on upgrading my lighting, just not necessarily right now. Maybe within the next couple of months.

Plants will indeed do better with the Excel and Comprehensive even in low light. I have 3 Fluval Edges (2-6g and 1-12g) which have stock LED's and are low light. I use Excel daily and liquid ferts weekly and I am able to grow plants like Ambulia, Water Sprite, Chain Sword which are sending out runners, Compacta Sword, Fissidens Fontanus which don't tend to grow well if at all in low light like this. Then the Cryypts, Bolbutis, and Java Fern Wendilov are doing great. From my expierence using Excel indeed does help photosynthesis and growth even in low light.

Well I think either this weekend or next I'm going to get a 23w cfl that's 6500k with dome reflector. I think I'll start out with one but possibly add another. I'm just going to go with this method until I decide to commit to an actual T5HO fixture.

Compacta sword can in fact thrive in low light conditions, and I second the notion that up frets with lights, or you may have trouble with algae, as well as trouble with the plants. They need extra light to use the available nutrients, or it's pretty much a waste.

Back
Top Bottom