What plant is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any ideas what this plant is?

29g180.jpg

It's the tall one in the back right. To the left of the powerhead.
29g183.jpg

I must have the magic touch then. This plant grows just as fast as ludwigia brevipes in my tank. Top 6inches turns a slight red color.

Concurring with newfound, "it doesn't get any more algae than any other plant".

I have it as well. I get decent growth with it and no algae problems to speak off. I am rather found of it. I like the color and leaf shapes.

The leaves do not seem to be quite right for submerged B monnieri. I think it is the B Caroliniana, the algae says the plant is not happy, that is perhaps why it does not look exactly like expected.

Here is some B monnieri, submersed: http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/Bacopa_monnieri.jpg

lol...on a side note, do a search of Bacopa.... it seems it is being sold as a herbal remedy.
Maybe I should grow some B monnieri again, I can claim that high quality fish poop enhances it's medicinal properties.

REPORTED EFFECTS ... is considered in India ... to be an all-around health tonic and adaptogen, bacopa is known specifically as a “smart” nutrient that improves the intellect. So if you want to get smarter ... bacopa is a good herb to try. Bacopa also plays many other roles ... as a diuretic, tranquilizer, and treatment for asthma, depression, insanity, and epilepsy, among other conditions.

Wow all that.... how is that possible....

HOW 1T WORKS No one is quite sure how bacopa influences brain chemistry... it works to achieve balance in the body and strengthen the immune system’s ability to respond to stress. And it is thought to act as a sedative... Bacopa may also stimulate the production of serotonin in the brain, which could explain its reputation as an effective antidepressant. ... bacopa also helps to regenerate dendrites in brain cells.

I'm impressed...show me the clinical study...

THE EVIDENCE Indian devotees of the herb don’t need studies to prove its efficacy–... But in recent years several rat and clinical studies have substantiated claims that bacopa enhances learning and memory. In one study on laboratory rats using a T-maze trial, rats fed a bacopa extract showed remarkable learning and memory enhancement, compared to both a control group and another group that had been fed valium.

http://www.natural-health-journals.com/362/bacopa-monniera

I first thought it was monnieri too, because of the leaves, but the stem is too thick. Does anyone know if caroliniana can be grown emersed? Or maybe it just isn't happy.

Well, whatever it iss, lol, it grows slow, and attracts algae, lol. The algae is kind of a brownish algae that wipes off easy. And not diatoms either. I was thinking moneywort myself. Will need to do more research.

My guess is Bacopa caroliniana. I did have Bacopa monnieri at one time. My lighting was low and it died in a week. Bacopa caroliniana will live in low light but it will look like the picture - not happy. It also likes CO2 very much - it looks like a different plant without it. The leaves are very small without CO2. I don't have a healthy B. caroliniana right now since my CO2 is inconsistent but when I did have good CO2, the B. caroliniana leaves were rather wide and had a nice, slight twist to them. I never thought of this plant as an algae magnet even in lower light.

LWB, all your tanks are higher light with CO2, right? Did you just get this plant? I do remember you had some algae troubles a month or so ago like I did. I would say give it a chance. If it is B. caroliniana, it should grow wonderfully for you once it gets used to your tanks.

The tank has 130W lighting on the 29G with about 35-50ppm CO2.

Also, I'm getting tons of green algae on the glass. Have to clean it every 2-3 days. I left it 4 days and I cleaned it yeaterday, and it made the water very green, lol. It's been hazy green since. All the plants are pearling big time, and the swords are getting so huge so fast. A week ago, the one sword only had 6-7 inch leaves and now the one of the leaves is nearly 12 inches long and 5-6 inches wide, and is at the surface. It's huge. I may have to move that one to my bare 75G. I'm gonna really have to look at what I'm going to do with my 75G and make all new plans. Tonight I just cleaned out all the melted vals and a few other plants that melted. Including the R. rotundafolio. Couldn't believe that one melted. But the Sword seems like it really loved it, lol. It's taken off big time since the Excel OD.

I'm surprised it isn't growing faster with all the light you have LWB. I have B. caroliniana in my 55g with 130w of light and it grows like a weed. I also haven't had any problems with algae. Is it shaded in the tank? Maybe thats why it isn't growing fast. I also don't have CO2 (well I do have 1 2L DIY but it doesn't produce much CO2 at all), so I'm very surprised that the plant doesn't like your tank. :) Give it a chance...make sure it isn't shaded. It grows nicely for me....and gets a pinkish shade to the top leaves...I actually like the plant. The bottom leaves on the stems in my tank (the ones that don't get much light) are pretty spread out...much like in your picture, so I do agree its caroliniana...just some that hasn't had much light. Give it full light and the leaves will become a little longer and closer together on the stems.

It's been in the tank for 3 weeks. It hasn't reached the surface yet. But the asian ambulia I have I've already clipped 2 times and replanted, and am needing to do another major trim, lol.

My B. caroliniana took a long time to get established in my tank, but once it did, it started growing more quickly. Now it grows fast but it took several months, and I'm not really sure why as I haven't changed any major tank parameters since I set the tank up. The Bacopa was one of the first plants I added.

Back
Top Bottom