What plant nutrients are safe for shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasmainia300

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, so I'm in the process of fishless cycling a 10gallon planted tank that I would like to have some red cherry shrimp in along with my betta and maybe some pygmy corys.

The tank has some anacharis, a few marimo moss balls, lots of java fern, a banana plant, pygmy chain swords and an amazon sword.

Unfortunately I don't have plant substrate because I'm pretty new to this hobby and I didn't even know they made substrate for plants until I had already set this tank up...:facepalm:

I know heavy metals can be toxic to inverts and I'm going to a couple fish stores tomorrow so I was wondering what root tabs and liquid fertilizers I could use that would be safe for the inverts in my tank? :thanks: in advance!

I know many that have shrimp tanks use regular Thrive(NilocG). But they also make a shrimp safe version Thrive S. check it out on their site nilocG.com

I know many that have shrimp tanks use regular Thrive(NilocG). But they also make a shrimp safe version Thrive S. check it out on their site nilocG.com

Looks interesting! I'd like to hear some more suggestions but I might end up ordering this. Any brand recommendations of root tabs for my sword?

Cheapest option is DIY root tabs. Just get 00 size gel caps and osmocote plus. Then fill each capsule about half way. When putting in substrate make sure to bury all the way down

Or you can simply put some osmocote in ice trays filled about half way the freeze. It's all about trying to get the osmocote all the way to the bottom of substrate.

Cheapest option is DIY root tabs. Just get 00 size gel caps and osmocote plus. Then fill each capsule about half way. When putting in substrate make sure to bury all the way down

Or you can simply put some osmocote in ice trays filled about half way the freeze. It's all about trying to get the osmocote all the way to the bottom of substrate.

Hmm, I'm not sure I trust myself using any fertilizer with copper in it.

Hmm, I'm not sure I trust myself using any fertilizer with copper in it.

Most if not all will have some but the level is so small it is harmless. Maybe look into seachem root tabs but am sure it has a small amount also. Others might chime in but am sure it's safe for shrimp. Just don't over do it. Place only under root feeders not less than 6" apart. Fill each cap half way and not more.

I placed about 20 osmocote root tabs in my 60 gallon that has 5 amano shrimp. All are fine.

With a level of just 0.05 and them being slow release you really have nothing to worry about. I do understand your concern though. Do not blame you.

Most if not all will have some but the level is so small it is harmless. Maybe look into seachem root tabs but am sure it has a small amount also. Others might chime in but am sure it's safe for shrimp. Just don't over do it. Place only under root feeders not less than 6" apart. Fill each cap half way and not more.

Okay, I see what you mean. Reading some more threads online it seems that it should be fine if I'm careful. Thanks for the advice.....the, aquarium advice!:cool: (I know that was the lamest thing ever :nono:)

If anyone else has suggestions it would be great to hear those too :)

Dry salt dosing with PPS pro or EI would work fine aswell. You'd just have to becarful with the micro mix u purchased (chelated micro nutrients).

I was told by someone that copper isn't really an issue if u use dechlorinater because it removes it? Not sure how much truth is in that tho.

Back
Top Bottom