What plants are good for a 5g beta DT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
Going to get a Fluval "Chi" for our beta, add a shoal of something (tetras?) And I'd like to have it lightly planted, maybe ground cover and a stemmed plant or 2 for background.

Comments, ideas?

Careful on the tetras... most are not really suitable for a 5 gal. I have some neons in 1 of my 5 gals and most people would say even that is pushing it.

Most likely the stock lights aren't going to grow much in the way of ground cover. You could probably be very successful with some moss tied to stones in the front and get a similar effect.

There are some small varieties of crypts that would work very well too.

fort384 said:
Careful on the tetras... most are not really suitable for a 5 gal. I have some neons in 1 of my 5 gals and most people would say even that is pushing it.

Most likely the stock lights aren't going to grow much in the way of ground cover. You could probably be very successful with some moss tied to stones in the front and get a similar effect.

There are some small varieties of crypts that would work very well too.

Not set on neighbors for the beta. But I'm so diligent on tank maintenance, that if I see 1 of my Moors poops floating, I'll net it out of the tank lol.

The chi has 14 mini LED's and figured that would do it. Guess I'm gonna have to keep looking.

Thanks fort!

It isn't about water quality with tetras and a 5 gal. It is about the space available for schooling fish like tetras to have room to swim.

A lot of reefers have done mods to the stock leds on those fluval tanks and keep coral with them... you can search for some of those threads. The idea would be the same for a planted tank.

Good luck! Those are really interesting looking tanks.

I agree with fort and the advice to not put tetras in a five gallon.

In addition to the crypts (there are numerous varieties) Fort mentioned, java fern and bacopa and marimo can do very well with the wonky lights that come with these aquariums.

fort384 said:
It isn't about water quality with tetras and a 5 gal. It is about the space available for schooling fish like tetras to have room to swim.

A lot of reefers have done mods to the stock leds on those fluval tanks and keep coral with them... you can search for some of those threads. The idea would be the same for a planted tank.

Good luck! Those are really interesting looking tanks.

The location is in an area that my GF doesn't want a regular tank and this one has a really clean look.

I gotcha, any recommends on small fish that would work in this 5g tank?

I'll check out the DIY thread, and see what's what because that's something I can handle.

Thanks again!

I would say to stick with just the betta. Maybe add some shrimp or snails? But, I wouldn't add any fish along with the betta, personally, in such a small space.

Check out my cube garden log in my signature below. I just picked up some amazing fish today for it. Boraras brigittae. Great fish for a 5 gal.

fort384 said:
Check out my cube garden log in my signature below. I just picked up some amazing fish today for it. Boraras brigittae. Great fish for a 5 gal.

Checked them out and they're cool looking fish. Maybe the answer to that issue.

Looking at doing the bottom with a piece of worm wood cut to size and growing java moss thru/in/on it. Backdrop plants are the next thing to tackle.

Thanks for the pointers fort!

+1 to most everything already said. Many crypts and anubias might do well. Java fern and java moss do really well in low light. I also 2nd Fort on the tied moss for grown cover. I've done this in one of my tanks and it works well. All you need is something to tie it to and it will grow nicely. I used rocks for mine and attached it with cheap hairnets.

img_1262900_0_045e6a808fac5a4c4db136205e9a9f08.jpg

IMHO 1 betta plus a couple snails for clean up stocks a 5 gal and a betta is the only fish that is appropriate for a tank that small at it's mature size. Some folks are brave enough to add an ADF or two in with it, but I'm afraid of a blood bath. I have three 5 gals, each with a male betta and a small nerite and I do one 30-40% pwc a week to keep the water ideal...if you do add more than that it will need more than a weekly pwc. My bettas absolutely love to lay in their peacock ferns :)

On Aquatic Community, they say a very small school of tetras could "live" in a 5 gallon tank, but not "thrive". Then add a betta and it is filled to capacity and then some. I agree that the bio load is not as much of an issue as the physical space(most tetras are recommended for a 10 gallon bare minimum). If you have plenty of lighting (my tank has 2.6 wpg) then you could keep some green cabomba. It is a very fast growing stem plant that does not have a lot of needs; I have had mine a week and already had to prune it.

Tree moss question.

I was getting some yard work done this evening and noticed that the moss on one of our trees has grown a lot over the wet winter. Just wondering if anyone knows if I can take some and add it to a piece of DW Iin one of my tanks? Anyone try ever try this, or is it not possible?

TIA

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom