What plants are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got some plants that I'm not sure what they are.

First one is a sword I think on the left. Is it a sword?
29g185.jpg

Also, the sword in the background. A sword?
29g186.jpg

The foreground plants, looks like grass.
75g524.jpg

The tall plant...
75g526.jpg

The tall reddish plant.
75g527.jpg

This ground plant... Same as the earlier one that looks like grass.
75g528.jpg

This ground cover, same as above?
75g535.jpg

I'd say first and second are swords. 3rd looks like stargrass. 4th looks something like rotala wallichii. 4th is rotala macrandia. The last two I'm not sure. Kinda looks like dwarf saggitaria or micro chain sword.

#1 and 2, yes they are swords. morst likely Echinodorus bleheri.

#3, If you are talking about the the taller one. I say stargrass. Heteranthera zosterifolia.

#4, a type of Foil. maybe a cutleaf watermilfoil, Myriophyllum pinnatum. (somethings telling me I should know this one)

#5, the leaf pattern makes me think that it is a type of bacopa. let me google because i can't find it on plantgeek. A better picture of the leafs would help or description.

#6, looks like stargrass again.

#7, No that looks more like a type of chain sword.

No sarcasm intended LWB, but when you order plants, do they list what they send you?

man Peyton you hadn't posted when I started my post. dang, it took me over 20 minutes to look all the stuff up. LOL

Peyton said:
4th looks something like rotala wallichii.

rkilling1 said:
#4, a type of Foil. maybe a cutleaf watermilfoil, Myriophyllum pinnatum. (somethings telling me I should know this one)

figures, I have that in my tank. and that is what it does look like. I knew I should have known that. the plankgeek pics threw me off.

Peyton said:
4th is rotala macrandia

thats a ringer there to. man you are good. I bow to the man.

still looks like a gaint bacopa that was dipped in red.

EDIT: Peyton was refering to #5 as rotala macrandia.

I don't think the last two pictures show the same species of plant. The plant in the last picture looks like dwarf sags to me.

Actually, these were plantsthat were sent to me. Not plants I ordered online. The swords were from aquabid, but the rest were from members here. I thought the stargrass was the one in the last pic in the middle, the taller one that goes off the top of the picture. There's also the same one sticking into the far right side of the pic. These are tall plants, about 6-7 inches in height. The ones near the bottom are a max 2 inches high and the leaves spread out from the center.

Lonewolfblue said:
I thought the stargrass was the one in the last pic in the middle, the taller one that goes off the top of the picture. There's also the same one sticking into the far right side of the pic. These are tall plants, about 6-7 inches in height.

no that one I believe is Blood stargrass (Didiplis diandra).

Here is mine:
plant17.jpg

vs stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia).
plant16.jpg

PS. I have a wordpad document that I keep that has all the plants I get in so I don't forget. Helps tremedously.

EDIT: redirect a link.

Here's a couple more pics of what I thought the stargrass was....
75g536.jpg

Here's another shot of the other plant.... I do see they are forming a stem and getting taller...
75g537.jpg

looks like we just posted the same pictures? except my stargrass is taller and some of your blood stargrass is turning red.

WHen I grew Didiplis diandra, it quickly took on a deep burnt orange color under highlight and CO2. Of your most recent post, the first pick is most likely that. If it gets real red as it grows then you are spot on.

The second one certainly could be stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia). Another less common but similar plant is Eichhornia diversifolia. If you trim some, and let it sit in a bowl of water for a day or two, and it turns purple. Then that might be it. Though, by picture stargrass is more likely.

rkilling1 said:
looks like we just posted the same pictures? except my stargrass is taller and some of your blood stargrass is turning red.

Actually, the stargrass isn't turning red. It's green. There's a reddish plant behind it, it's not the same plant. There's a R. rotundafolia behind it, giving some red there.

Also, the plants that look yellow in the pics aren't really yellow. They are a very bright green. I've been playing with camera settings, and still can't figure out how to take pics that are more real looking, true colors.

Lonewolfblue said:
Here's a couple more pics of what I thought the stargrass was....
75g536.jpg

Here's another shot of the other plant.... I do see they are forming a stem and getting taller...
75g537.jpg

pic #1 without a doubt is didplis diandra (blood stargrass) - my favorite plant. I'm 99% sure the second is heteranthera zosterifolia (stargrass).

Anybody have side by side pics of D. diandra and L. brevipes? FWIW rkilling and LWB's stuff looks like the latter to me.

you mean Heteranthera zosterifolia(star grass) next to Ludwigia brevipes(Long Beach primrose)?

D. diandra has very fine leaves.

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/ddiandra.jpg

here is Ludwigia brevipes:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/images/Onagraceae/Ludwigiabrevipes2.jpg

http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest/2003/resized/18/lbrevipes.jpg

I believe the center plant in this picture is L.bevipes(orange) which is right next to Heteranthera zosterifolia(star grass) (to the right):
http://www.gwapa.org/memberspages/GhazanfarGhori/75_090902_whole.jpg

Thanks. Here's H. zosterfolia (left midground) and L. brevipes (right). They're about the same thickness but L. brevipes may be a little thinner.
center_060402.jpg

Here's a shot of creeping L. brevipes with L. repens "Rubin" and E. tiandra in it for scale.
lbrevipes060321.jpg

As a ballbark, is D. diandra like L. arcuata in terms of thickness?

Thank you.

I have Ludwigia repens and one small stem of Ludwigia inclinata to compare/take of picture of vs Didiplis diandra and thats the best I can do.

Back
Top Bottom