What plants can i grow with 98 Watts and no co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vundercoverdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a 29 gallon tank with a single strip fluorescent hood. The single 18watt T8 bulb isn't going to cut it so I am preparing myself to purchase a Zoomed quad T5 fixture with (4) 24 Watt light bulbs. What plants can I get that would thrive without having CO2 in my tank?

These are some of the ones I was thinking-

Java moss
Dwarf baby tears
Hair grass
Swords
Microswords
Bamboo
Moss balls

I really want some sort of grass carpet on the gravel to give it a unique look. But its expensive to begin with so I don't want it to die.

I could buy the API dosage CO2 but I've heard its no good..

Any input is appreciated! :fish2:

Baby tears and Haigrass do much better with CO2 in the tank. The lighting your talking about would be fine. You could use DIY co2, and diffuse it through a powerhead. With that being used, you plant selection would be about unlimited.

With a quad light on a 29 gallon you have to either use CO2 or a higher dose of liquid carbon. If you don't you'll end up with an algae farm. I ran my 220g very high light tank for well over a year on high dosing of liquid carbon. When using liquid carbon you have to use higher amounts the more light you have, the more plants you have especially fast growing ones, and the higher you bioload is. With that lighting you will have to build up to about 1ml of liquid carbon to every 1 gallon of water daily. While liquid carbon isn't as good as CO2 used in the proper dose for the type tank and lighting a person has it can be very effective. Check out my albums of the 220g. I only added CO2 a few months ago. You will need to buy Metricide 14 Day Solution, a gallon for $27 shipped for it to be cost effective to use. You mix the Glut (Metricide 14) at a 1:1 ratio with RO or Distilled water to get 2 gallons total for under $30. Can't beat the price.

Then with high light and CO2 or liquid carbon you are going to need to use dry ferts dosing either El or PPS-Pro in order to provide all the macro and micro nutrients plants will need.

Remember the higher the light the higher the need for CO2 or liquid carbon which both greatly increases photosynthesis which means the plants need more ferts.

Back
Top Bottom