What plants should I be looking for to put in a 29g community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djtypykuhl

Aquarium Advice Activist
29g that is currently a livebearer breeder that I am contomplating turning into a community tank because I am sick of breeding. Either way, I need some live plants for it, but have no idea what I'm doing.

My light fixture came stock with the 29g starter kit. The light says "20 watt" on it, but thats all. One of my friends said it's florecent, another said LED. (I don't know the difference, but I figured that it is important to mention)

I currently have two bulbs of water grass in there (afraid to put anything else in without some reference) I want a multi-level planted tank, so please recommend tall as well as short plants that would work out for me.

Thanks everyone :)

Found out that the light is an incandecent. (I hope I spelled that right) How big of a difference does this make? My bulbs of water grass are doing just fine, and one is getting pretty long, almost to the point of poking out of the surface of the water. I will look up guppy grass and Micranthemum umbrosum (a common name would be helpful for that one)

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Sorry I don't know the common name...maybe baby tears....I was spelling from the card that came with them :)

djtypykuhl said:
Found out that the light is an incandecent. (I hope I spelled that right) How big of a difference does this make? My bulbs of water grass are doing just fine, and one is getting pretty long, almost to the point of poking out of the surface of the water. I will look up guppy grass and Micranthemum umbrosum (a common name would be helpful for that one)

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Swap out bulbs for CFLs
I aim for around 6500K
Wattage 2x the gallons. I have 20 watts total over my 10g. ( Two 10w mini CFLs)

They grow plants well. And stay cooler for summer.

Swap out bulbs for CFLs
I aim for around 6500K
Wattage 2x the gallons. I have 20 watts total over my 10g. ( Two 10w mini CFLs)

They grow plants well. And stay cooler for summer.

Thank you for this advice, i will look for the correct bulbs for both my 29g and my 10g now. (i only have one 15w bulb going in my 10g small twin-light hood)

Sorry I don't know the common name...maybe baby tears....I was spelling from the card that came with them :)

"Baby tears" is correct, i googled the long scientific name and that's what came up :)
i will look into getting some of that. (it's very pretty!)

Yea nice and tall too...I have another couple of plants that I really like...I'll have to get you the names when I get home

Back
Top Bottom