What Plants Should I Get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amethystfern

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two tanks that I'd like to add more plants to. One of which I definitely want to be a full-blown planted tank as I want to add shrimp to it. I just don't know what would be best.

I haven't had the best luck with plants in the past however in my 36 gallon goldfish tank I have a banana plant (that's totally taken off this summer) and an amazon sword. In my 10 gallon community tank (betta, pleco, and some neon tetras) I have a few tiny moss balls and a tiny amount of dwarf hairgrass that has been slowly on it's way out since I got it.

What would you recommend for each tank?
I'd eventually like to have a ton in the 10 gallon which is the one I plan on adding shrimp to. Both tanks are in in-direct light but also have lights to turn on. I don't have a preference in particular except that I'm a newbie and I hate hate hate hornwort!

Aim for low tech plants,
Java fern
Anubias
Bacopa
Hygrophilas
Mosses
Crypts
Dwarf sag
And many more.

It's good to get a fert dosing schedule going. Seachem line is fine for low tech but u can dose dry salts using PPS PRO to save money. Consistent weekly water changes of 50% and good flow and u should be fine [emoji106]

Floating plants like hornwort and water sprite good for shrimp/fry to hideout in. Also fairly forgiving plants

Floating plants like hornwort and water sprite good for shrimp/fry to hideout in. Also fairly forgiving plants

I had hornwort in my 36 gal and it was pretty disastrous. It did well for a few weeks but then it gradually started dying and it was the biggest mess. Took me months to get all of it out of the tank. :nono:

Aim for low tech plants,
Java fern
Anubias
Bacopa
Hygrophilas
Mosses
Crypts
Dwarf sag
And many more.

It's good to get a fert dosing schedule going. Seachem line is fine for low tech but u can dose dry salts using PPS PRO to save money. Consistent weekly water changes of 50% and good flow and u should be fine [emoji106]

Also Bucephalandra. There are varieties that are not expensive and look good. Apple Leaf, Brownie sp., Green Wave, etc. They take a long time to adjust to tank conditions. Put some next to some Anubias and you'll have a nice display. New leaves that have grown within your tank's conditions will be more colorful.

etfROBn.jpg

Java Fern would be your best friend. Easy and it looks good once grown in. Crypts are another colorful plant--many nice varieties.

Crypt parva, Crypt wendtii "Red", Crypt wendtii "Bronze", Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko", and some Needle Leaf Java Fern in the background:
l3BWtkd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom