What plants should I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on factors such as your lighting, substrate, and whether you'll be injecting co2 (for medium to high light tanks). But for beginners I usually recommend easy low-light tolerant plants like java fern, anubias, moss, and crypts.

Depends on factors such as your lighting, substrate, and whether you'll be injecting co2 (for medium to high light tanks). But for beginners I usually recommend easy low-light tolerant plants like java fern, anubias, moss, and crypts.

+1 for eveything. Just because the tank is planted it doesn't mean you can grow everything :lol:
If I knew what kind of lighting, co2 or not, etc I could give some suggestions. But if you just started planted tanks, I would with only easy low light plants as well.

you don't really need co2 not even for a certain plants look at dustinsfishtanks i use sunlight and dirtied tank.

I know. Not many plants actually need co2. The only problem about sunlight is you can't really limit it to a certain amount of hours and algae can become a problem.

Lighting determines the type of plants you can successfully grow. Even with dirted tanks, which I have been doing for many years proper fertilizers along with either liquid carbon (low and medium light tank) or CO2 (for medium to high light tanks) is very helpful. Liquid carbons aid in growth and photosynthesis especially in lower light tanks and also acts as a mild algaecide (which is just a bonus).

So that being said what type light are you using? Once we know the exact lighting then plants can be recommended.

i dont have a light i put it next to my window i live in az. i like baby tears and crinum calastratum.

The only plants that might work in a tank that only receives ambient room light would be anubia, java ferns, and bolbitus. Cypts might grow. Even these plants would struggle to survive much less grow. I would strongly suggest getting an appropriate light fixture and bulbs if you want to grow plants.

pure sunlight is the best light for plants

Indoor planted tanks are very limited in plant growth from ambient light. Most tanks have algae issues when kept so they receive direct sunlight. If a planted tank is desired then the best choice for light is an appropriate fixture that gives the proper amount of Par for the type of plants a person wants to grow.

What LED fixture did you purchase? Most LED's are not suited for planted tanks. Most likely you have very low light and some of your plants still may not flourish. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom