What pleco should I get?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hops2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a60 gallon hex back tank with some DW. A few days after putting the DW in there was some white fuzzy looking algae on it and I've read that it would go away in a few days. Well, a week later and it's gotten worse! Im heading to one of my LFS to pick out a pleco but I'm not sure which one to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a60 gallon hex back tank with some DW. A few days after putting the DW in there was some white fuzzy looking algae on it and I've read that it would go away in a few days. Well, a week later and it's gotten worse! Im heading to one of my LFS to pick out a pleco but I'm not sure which one to get.

dont get a pleco for algae issues.

Test your water.
Do a large pwc
Put lights on a timer for 6 hours a day.
Scrub the wood if needed.

Don't just buy a fish without knowing what the issue is. White isn't. Algae. And each Pleco species only eats certain kinds of algae.

Address the cause of the problem before you throw a fish at it.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Test your water.
Do a large pwc
Put lights on a timer for 6 hours a day.
Scrub the wood if needed.

Don't just buy a fish without knowing what the issue is. White isn't. Algae. And each Pleco species only eats certain kinds of algae.

Address the cause of the problem before you throw a fish at it.

It's not JUST for algae, I want one anyways. I've just read a lot of stuff about snails and plecos eating it. I do weekly water changes and water tests. Everything is on point. The stuff growing on the DW is apparently a very common problem for those who don't boil it. It was too large for me to throw in a pot of boiling water.

Otos are much more hit or miss, they also require a nice build up of bio film to sustain their diet, if the tank is less than a couple months old than they may not do so well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is going to be hard to find a pleco to eat that stuff. That being said, it typically takes a few weeks to go away, not a few days.

To generally answer your question I nearly always species from the genus Ancistrus. Commonly called bushynose or bristlenose plecos. They stay relatively small, 3-5" depending on the species and they typically eat algae their whole lives.

I love Otos, but they are all wild caught. Thus you need biofilm as they may not accept store bought food. If you can get through the first 2-3 weeks, mine are usually very hardy.

I love Otos, but they are all wild caught. Thus you need biofilm as they may not accept store bought food. If you can get through the first 2-3 weeks, mine are usually very hardy.

+1, I've been very fortunate with quality stock, 12/15 still nomming away! Depending on the stores you have to select from. Petco usually only has commons around me while petsmart has rubber lips and albino bushy nose. My lfs has zebras:) me wants!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I may take a trip to petco to see what they have. My petsmart isn't a highly reputable store. Hopefully petco has a few options for me. Thanks!

Good luck!

Just don't get a common pleco or a chinese algae eater. ;)

Any experience on rubberlips?! Good? Bad?

Bristlenose pleco will do great, there one of he smaller plecos and one of the only plecos which will do good with your algae. Im not an expert but from my understanding i think it'll be a good fit for your tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom