what should be in my canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am very happy! It was 5$ for a bag that is the size of a large pillow. Do I need to rinse it off before I put it in the filter? And is replacing it once a month often enough?

Last edited:
Would changing it twice a month be good? So now I will only have poly fil and Bio Max in my filter is this good/bad?

I am very happy! It was 5$ for a bag that is the size of a large pillow. Do I need to rinse it off before I put it in the filter? And is replacing it once a month often enough?

+1 for the find.

FYI: 1/2 the bag (maybe less) for the same price + at my LFS and a bag of carbon for an AC50 is $3.99 at Petco and that's only good for 2-4 weeks :eek: and basically does the same thing (good at meds/bad at tannins).

I rinse mine in cold tap water, squeeze it out and stuff it in the basket (HOB or Can). As for replacing it, time will tell. I've done it once a week in 3 tanks (2 weeks for my 305 Can) for a 1.5 months and I'm just starting to be able to close the bag of poly with tape lol.

I like this stuff more and more! Thanks for talking me about it!

I literally just walked in the door with a bag I picked up at Wal-Mart (thanks to Mr. Limpet for the idea). Just to confirm...no need to rinse, no need for a media bag, and no danger of it damaging the impeller? Just stuff it out of the bag and into canister trays?

I literally just walked in the door with a bag I picked up at Wal-Mart (thanks to Mr. Limpet for the idea). Just to confirm...no need to rinse, no need for a media bag, and no danger of it damaging the impeller? Just stuff it out of the bag and into canister trays?

I rinse mine, just because I rinse anything I put into one of my tanks, but you don't have too. I think I've missed rinsing it a couple time and no issues to report.

Mr. Limpet said:
Glad to help. Post your results/opinion in the tool thread after you've used it for a while too :D.

Will do! I will probably use this in the fluval Flora filter as well :D

Mr. Limpet said:
I do and it works great. I'm following that thread, so when you're ready I'll show you how I do mine to give you additional ideas.

If you have time... could you walk me through it now? Or do I need the filter in order two have it make since? (We will move to the fluval Flora build thread)

Mr. Limpet said:
It'd be easier to explain when you have it, plus I owe you a pic on that thread :p.

We will just have to wait until June 8 (that is when the fluval should be here)

Back
Top Bottom