What should my GH and KH reading be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keybler

Aquarium Advice Regular
What should my GH and KH reading be for a community tropical tank with plants.

I'm currently at KH of about 53.7 ppm i've read it needs to be up around 100ppm is this true?

Thanks Keith

What should my GH and KH reading be for a community tropical tank with plants.

I'm currently at KH of about 53.7 ppm i've read it needs to be up around 100ppm is this true?

Thanks Keith

It depends on the fish you are keeping. Check this link out, then I'd do some research on the fish you have in the tank and see what their preferences are.

Beginner FAQ: Water Chemistry

If I could move my kh up to 100ppm using a kh buffer would it be worth it. I know my ph will raise, but thats fine, i'm going for a ph of 7.8

PS I already do the rodi water deal, so I can in theory do these easy. But

From what I've read KH should be above 80ppm to be a good buffer. (each degree is 17.9ppm)
Is this a freshwater tank? Not sure why you are using rodi???

From what I've read KH should be above 80ppm to be a good buffer. (each degree is 17.9ppm)
Is this a freshwater tank? Not sure why you are using rodi???

I've read 70ppm, so im at like 53 so I think i'm going to attempt it on this next buffering cycle. But I've also heard people say 53 was fine.

Have no choice about the rodi, well water sucks, and I can run it dry very easy.

Thanks Keith

Out of the faucet, my water <1* GH and KH. I added dolomite to my filter and got my GH/KH up to ~2* and my community tank maintains a 7.4 pH as a result.

Out of the faucet, my water <1* GH and KH. I added dolomite to my filter and got my GH/KH up to ~2* and my community tank maintains a 7.4 pH as a result.

out of my sink is gh 800ppm+ and kh is 250ppm+ range. Water hear sucks, So either I buy it or give up my tank. 2dkh is very soft. If you read enough online some say thats good or bad depending on what your trying to keep.

for my planted tank i've heard mine is fine, to I need to rise it. I'm going to try for. gh of about 7-9 and a kh of 5-6, and a ph of 7.6ish. I've been doing my bufferings with full records. I'm down to getting my buffers within 20gram accuracy or so. I'm trying to figure what gh and kh is the best for plants and community tank. I've been buffering to gh6-7 and kh3-4, My planted tank is still about 5 or 6 above my buffer. Figured I'd ask this question before my planted tank levels drop too low.

Keith

I've found that the plants in my tank are doing pretty well; I'm using Mineralized Top Soil and Excel along the the dolomite in the filter. I'd like to know how you push your hardness up. I didn't worry about the GH/KH once I stabilized the pH.

Stable levels are always more recommended than messing with them. with low kh levels the ph is more likely to swing+/-. how did you make your "ph stable"?

First off, I buy rodi water so it starts out at 0. Then i use seachems product to buffer the water for almost any type of levels. There are more natural ways to do this i'm sure, but havn't tryed any of that yet.

I have 1/2 cup of crushed dolomite in my filter; it increased the KH & GH. Just getting my water to ~2* on each scale, allowed my pH to stabilize at 7.4.

Back
Top Bottom