what test kit to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I am gaining interest in my planted tank and would like to dose ferts properly with the help of a test kit. Currently I dose flourish and excel and have root tabs. However I think I may not have enough phosphate and other stuff. Is there a test kit out there that will help me get my levels to where they should be. And a chart let's say that says if I sea yellow leaves do this etc.

I just asked a similar question not too long ago. They say that the Red Sea Phosphate Kit is best. However, I have still yet to pick up a kit. I was also considering the API and Seachem one..

Aquarium Water Testing: Red Sea Phosphate Pro Test Kit for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums

What size tank and is it low, medium, or high light? co2? Just wondering because the Flourish stuff is great and all, but you can get a more comprehensive dosing regimen with dry ferts and using either EI or PPS-Pro -- the latter being my preferred choice. Just thought I'd ask, especially if you're concerned with phosphates.

I just asked a similar question not too long ago. They say that the Red Sea Phosphate Kit is best. However, I have still yet to pick up a kit. I was also considering the API and Seachem one..

Aquarium Water Testing: Red Sea Phosphate Pro Test Kit for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums

What size tank and is it low, medium, or high light? co2? Just wondering because the Flourish stuff is great and all, but you can get a more comprehensive dosing regimen with dry ferts and using either EI or PPS-Pro -- the latter being my preferred choice. Just thought I'd ask, especially if you're concerned with phosphates.

Its a planted 29 with t5 no lights 6700. No special substrate no c02. It currently has crypts and swords. But will soon have ludwigia repens, Anubis, vals, roseafolia when I receive my order from aquaflora. The reason I'm concerned with phosphates is my plants have small holes in the leaves and have stopped growing. I had this problem earlier and added rout tabs. That fixed the problem but now its back. I added new root tabs a few days ago, but have not yet seen any difference.

I'm not a plant guy so I can't help in that area. Sorry. Here's a good read to maybe get ya started. Also try in planted area, there a many many members with a lot of knowledge and experience in planted tanks etc.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html

Thanks now I somewhat know what to do. However it seems to be a very general way of dosing ferts. Don't you want specific ferts for specific plants to answer their specific needs. And the wpg thing. Shouldn't that not be used. With led and fluorescent now its not the usual incandescent.

I'm not sure... but I suppose you can just continue to use what you have and down the road you can consider switching over. I started with the Seachem stuff too but now made the transition and I really like the results.

So now you have many options to decide from in terms of the Phosphate kits :)

I'm not sure... but I suppose you can just continue to use what you have and down the road you can consider switching over. I started with the Seachem stuff too but now made the transition and I really like the results.

So now you have many options to decide from in terms of the Phosphate kits :)

That's true. I may never mind the kit and just go with pps. Do you guys think my dual 6700 18watt fluorescents are considered. Low or medium.

Is the 29g about 18" tall? If it is, minus the 2 to 3" in substrate, and if the light is sitting on top of tank, then yes, I believe that should put you at medium light.

Is the 29g about 18" tall? If it is, minus the 2 to 3" in substrate, and if the light is sitting on top of tank, then yes, I believe that should put you at medium light.

Okay thanks I will see if I can find a site that will ship to my location. Should I continue dosing excel if I go with the pps.

Yes... Excel is good, especially if you're not injecting co2. If you really want to see your plants take off, I would start using co2. Pressurized systems are best, but if you're on a budget, you can use a combination of DIY co2 (i.e. yeast/sugar mix) and Excel.

Back
Top Bottom