What the...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinafina

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now what in the world is this that is on my plant.

image-537837564.jpg

It's clear with dots in it. Is it alive? It doesn't move. Just noticed it right now.

Tinafina said:
Now what in the world is this that is on my plant.

It's clear with dots in it. Is it alive? It doesn't move. Just noticed it right now.

image-1988280150.jpg

Here's another shot. I did find another one 1/4 of this size. Looks like something bad.

Hahaha, so ur telling me i have pest snails? Should I destroy the snails I already have too?

If you don't want them, then yes, 'destroy' them. Don't kill your mystery snails though, unless you've got snails that you can't identify and are calling them mystery snails. mystery snails, as jetajockey said, lay their eggs above the water line. Those look like pond/bladder snail eggs.

Snails multiply stupidly fast. I had a couple in some plants I got from a LFS in my shrimp tank. After a couple of months I spotted some eggs. I wiped them away and thought I got them all.

Nope!

I was looking at the shrimp and all the babies when I saw the gravel moving. I looked closer and saw a LOT of tiny snails (I think they were pond snails). I went and cleaned out the tank and found good with bad.

I had nearly a hundred little shrimp, but about 1000 little snails. :facepalm:

I rinsed the gravel out completely a little at a time using a cup and swishing it around. I poured the water and snails into the sink to get rid of as many as I could (and there were a LOT), then I put the gravel into boiling water for about 5 minutes.

Hopefully, I got rid of the darn things.

Now, if you have 2 (or more) snails in your tank, eventually you WILL have more. It doesnt matter what kind of snails you have.

I found these snails from a plant I got. They are nothing special. What is the difference between mystery & pond ones? Will these critters get big?

image-3123837313.jpg

Mystery snails look like this and can get the size of a golf ball.

image-254607220.jpg

Pond snails look like this and are small. (not sure if this is actually one but you get the drift.)

Pond snails usually hitchhike in on plants. The eggs you found are not mystery snail eggs.

image-4006655104.jpg
Mystery snail eggs.

Hey is there a humane way of killing pest snails? Or can I just throw em in sink or trash?

I have some and yes they multiply quickly but they level out quickly. You can make a trap easily, crush them with a mag clean, or let them be... They eat algae, clean substrate, clean your plants, eat missed food. They have never gotten out of control in my tank, but I could just be lucky.

Back
Top Bottom