What the heck happened to my wisteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikewastaken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, hoping for a little guidance here. I've had an established 30gal tank for about a year now, and been doing VERY well with water wisteria and so-so with a pair of Amazon swords. About a month ago I trimmed my original single wisteria, which had gotten very lush and tall, and rellanted so that there are now 6 stems coming up around the tank. Until two days ago they all had seemed to be thriving. Then when I went to feed the fish in the morning I saw that every single wisteria stem had lost almost all its leaves, which had browned and sloughed off. So within a period of 48 hours this happened.

FWIW the Amazon swords seem to be doing as well as ever and the fish are fine too, though missing the foliage. No appreciable changes to water quality and I haven't touched the heater or lighting settings. Last water change (25%) last Thursday, and I replaced my filter and Purigen bag on Monday.

Per the forum template I have a 29.5 gallon tank lit by a Marineland ML90613-00 LED Strip Light for 12 hours a day. Temps generally around 76-77F. I do not add CO2 and the tank is away from direct sunlight. Fish population – 2 otos, 1 albino cory, and roughly half a dozen each zebra danios, cherry barbs and neon tetras.

Roughly once every two weeks I fertilize with FloraPride and I have Flourish tabs buried according to their instructions. No significant issues with algae.

So is this a thing that wisteria does or has something gone awry? What should my next steps be to get this wisteria back to its former self, if it's possible? :thanks:

IMG_20161117_183841192.jpg

IMG_20161117_183901911.jpg

Hello, I also maintain a 30 gallon long aquarium, and also had water sprite (wisteria), and it also died overnight, or within a few days, what I found most interesting is that it was just flourishing extremely before, I even gave my friend multiple runners, then it just died... I have no clue what it is, really wish i knew so I could have saved mine....

This happened in my 5 gallon as well...just wilted out over night after being established for a good month

Did you add anything at all?

I've killed it off with meds (malachite green) which it didn't like at all.

Also I've shifted it from one tank (potted) to in another tank (gravel) and lost a beautiful hand sized one within a week.

From memory all ferts dosing was fine except phosphate based buffers which lifted phosphate readings well above test chart.

I haven't added anything so it really has me baffled. It does appear, however, that the wisteria is not dead, as new growth is already appearing from the top of the stems. So yeah, pretty stumped.

Assuming I am actually seeing continued healthy growth can I lop the tops off each stem and replant them? Will they put out new roots?

No, they will not put out new roots unless they shoot offspring, idk what they are called they call them shoots, and they look like tiny wisteria plants. then you cut those off and plant them...

Back
Top Bottom