what to do for algae? and melting leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I dont have a terrible case of algae... yet. It is not hair algae (well I do have small bit but I think its about gone), its like this brownish gunk stuff that wipes off fairly easily, but I dont think its diatoms because the tank has been set up for a while? I do have very hard water... I need to get peat to soften it (where to find peat?). Is there any test kits I need to buy? I know algae if from having more nutrients than your plants use, but I can only find one species of stem plant that grows for me (my options are cabomba, ludwiga, and bacopa) and ludwigia is the only one that seems to grow for me... so I dont have tons of stem plants. Should I splurge and order some online?
Also I have green spot algae on my crypts, is this because they are slow growers? My plants dont seem to be growing to much :(
one last thing, the leaves on my tiger lotus seems to be melting away... I have dosed Flourish Iron but?
specs
29gall
eco-complete
65 watt 10,000k CF
18watt 10,000k T5
18watt anctic T5 (I know that does nothing for plants...)
DIY CO2 (one 2 liter bottle)
I have flourish, flourish excel and flourish iron

HELP??? I really REALLY want to have a nice planted aquarium and I can do everything EXCEPT pressurized Co2. I want to do this correctly. so again help??? :(

You should add atleast 1 more 2L bottle if you can't go pressurized. I use 2 2L bottles on my small tanks. :D 1 2L won't do much on a 29g IMO.

You have quite a bit of light to have DIY CO2 and only 1 stem plant. This is most likely the cause of your algae issues. I'd definitely get more stem plants. Just make sure you choose the ones that will work with your setup (maybe Rotala rotundifolia, Moneywort, Anacharis).

You also need some macro nutrients, like Potassium. If you can't get dry ferts, atleast get some Flourish potassium.

The reason most of your plants aren't growing much is because you have mostly slow growing plants. You need more stems!

I wouldn't bother softening your water.

I wouldn't dose iron. Plants don't need that much iron and most of what they need is found in Flourish. Adding extra iron in a non-high tech tank is probably doing more harm. Excess iron can lead to algae issues.

So, I suggest you stop dosing iron, add more stems, add another 2L bottle, and get some Flourish Potassium.

oh I forgot I do have Elodea (anarchis) but it is not growing either... I think its because of excel though?
Ok, I need to order some stem plants LOL, I love rotala rotundifolia... but its hard to come by here. I would get some dry ferts but like your LFS, my LFS has the most pathetic plant and plant supplies available, I mean petsmarts variety is better and that is saying something :(
looks like I need to make an online order, and add another bottle of CO2...
thanks

Excel melts Anarachis. Ask in the barter/trade forums. People give away trimmings. Just pay for shipping.

Back
Top Bottom