What to do now?..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C@tF!5h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Overview:
I have a 30 gal. setup that I recently converted to a plant tank w/ fish as a strategy to reduce nitrates and create a more natural feel. I introduced some laterite to the gravel and I'm seeing improvement in the plant growth but still high nitrates, around 60ppm. That’s really not terribly high but I want the plants to maintain it as close to zero as I can, and build my bio filter for good cycling. Also my ph is less than 6 and I am trying to raise it slowly. The cheep co2 gen. is not hooked up because I am not sure my water hardness and exact ph. Most plants are really healthy and new growth is visible even from 2 bulbs. Fish seem totally normal but the ph is not exactly right for some of them. I have a list of things I will be improving. I was just seeing if anyone had suggestions or words of caution when tampering with co2, nitrates, ph, and water hardness. I'll post some pictures when I get some responses.

Question:
Basically I want to maintain a ph of 7 (obviously reaching that very slowly with buffers safe for plants) and set up my co2 gen. without ph flux. Also the nitrates are not a huge issue because the fish are well used to it by now. So any suggestions from looking at my setup?

I would say work on doing some WC's to get the nitrates down a bit. Most people on here will say it shouldnt go above 40 and I've also heard that high nitrates can encourage certain kinds of algae. You could start adding some crushed coral gradualy to the tank to buffer and gently raise PH. You might also consider getting one of those KH/GH test kits to eliminate any guesswork on the water hardness. Their pretty cheap...I think I picked mine up on Big Al's.

I'm definately not the expert here but I've asked many of the same questions before and those are the answers I got.

da squid is right on about the nitrates. do water changes. 50%-75% water change will surely help.

what fish do you have? most fish are fine with what ever ph as long as its stable. if they are fine stay with it.

Thanks! I will defiantly do a 50 percent water change soon; I have an angel and a dwarf Gourami, some rasboras and tetras, African cats, Cory cats, and a couple other South American cats.
Just bought another test kit and here are my results for that:
Ph: less than 6 (acidic),
Nitrate: 180,
Nitrite: .5,
Hardness: 300,
Alkalinity: 0.
I’m just trying to get it at a stable level for all inhabitants (plants & fish) and eventually when I see more plant growth I want some shrimp, snails, clams, or other inverts to eat some of the decaying material.

test stripes? i would be doing 50% or more since its showing nitrite. shows me its not cycled yet. do you have ammonia test kit?

clams are not a good idea. angelfish will prob eat most shrimp in the tank. maybe you could try snails.

Wow, Nitrates are 180. How many of each fish do you have? That is super high. Also, what is your normal water change schedule (how often and how much)?

What are you feeding and how often?

You will have see a change in pH with co2 injection, but it should drop and then stay the same. I see you aren't using it now though.

Are you using tap water?

I wouldn't add any more critters to the tank because they will just further increase the nitrates. Pick up decaying material with water changes in a siphon.

25258-albums689-picture4823.jpg

Yeah i was using indicator liquids, and those new results are test strips, i think the nitrates could also be from laterite and fertilizer? just a thought. heres my stats:

Fish:
1 angel
1 dwarf gourami
3 rasboras
3 tertas
3 upsidedown cats
3 cory cats
2 talking cats
1 fetherfin syno (medium)
1 lace syno (small)
1 pleco
1 bumblebee cat

thats kinda alot and im moving the larger african cats out to a larger tank once it is set up

also i feed flake and ocassional brine shrimp/blood worms but they are all consumed within 5 mins or less with all the cats.

i use tap but i condition it first with prime before adding it in the tank.

test stripes are known to be incurate but still you should do at least 50% water change today right now. i would also do a couple of them in the coming week and keep a eye on it. what fertilizer have you added?

Will do, im using seachem flourish tabs, and api leaf zone but only put 3 tabs in over 2 weeks ago. i dosed it with leaf zone just yesterday.

might account for some of it. though unless you poured in a bunch of it way over what they say to add i dont think its the problem.

Like the tank though? hah no i put what it said to 15 ml for 30 gal

Well thanks for all the advice, I should do it now, but its late and it usually takes me a couple hours, so tomorrow early in the morn i promise

do what you can. it shouldnt take a couple hours to do a water change. takes me 30 mins to do a 50% water change in my 120.

btw i straped the tacky background on for the picture so the other side of my house wasnt visable haha

its cause i dont use a hose i just use cups... then refil with buckets i will dig up the hose from the basement tomorrow though and give it the good old gravel vac job

test your tap water for nitrates. i have well water and it comes out over 40 ppm. you could be in the same situation and doing water changes might not be removing nitrate. it might be adding it. adding more plants to your tank will help to remove nitrates. but you need much more than you have now.

most people around here dont like the look of fake stuff in an aquarium so you probably wont get too many compliments. dont take it personal. if you like it keep it but the more and more heavily planted aquascaped you see the less you'll probably like it too.
check out some of these tanks AAC 2009 - AAC Gallery
now thats what aquascaping is!

Back
Top Bottom