What to do with a Moss Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcolon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought one today and the though just occurred ... what do I do with it? Just let it roll with the currents? I made a slate cave with a terrace where I originally was going to put it ... but it fell apart as I was putting it in the tank:facepalm: .. guess the silicone wasn't a adhesive as I thought.
I was able to arrange the rocks into another cave ... minus the terrace:nono:

I have the ball pinned by one of it's roots so it doesn't roll .. but is it best to just let it roll around?

Id say eithet would be fine, but oin a root down and maybe it will stey there eventually. How is your lighting, i was considering those, but i have a 10 watt hood. ( thats all i know lol)

moss ball can be use in all kinda way, 1. just let it be in the tank 2. u can break it n tie it to DW, will look super nice once it grow out.

Id say eithet would be fine, but oin a root down and maybe it will stey there eventually. How is your lighting, i was considering those, but i have a 10 watt hood. ( thats all i know lol)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of leaving this one attached to top of the slate cave ... then in a week or two get another for either the DW or let it float around. The thought of moss covering my DW does sound great!

I'm running a T8 32 watt zoo-med ultra sun 6500K. Nothing real fancy .. seems to be doing the trick. Nothing is growing crazy but at least my anacharis is not losing leaves like with the Flora Sun bulb I had before.

so you can break the ball of moss apart, and lay it (and tie it) on driftwood? id really like to do that... although i dont know if that would go well in a blackwater tank.

I love moss balls. I just bought 3 and let it do whatever it wants in my tank. Sometimes they stay in one spot and other times they roll around or float on top of the water.

I'm not positive, but I believe blackwater is a condition where lots of tannins are leaching into the water causing it to become "tea" coloured (without the milk and sugar).

Some fish prefer their tank water in this condition. Some people really like the look of a blackwater tank as well. You can buy BW treatment to add the tannins to your water. (or whatever it is that colours the water)

In the wild a fish habitat with a lot of wood or leaves regularly entering the water with cause blackwater conditions.

no, brackish is a mix of salt and freshwater, in places where the river would connect to the ocean. Black water is a specific type of area in the amazon. its called "amazon blackwater" you try and get only plants and fish found in that area, neon tetra and corydoras go well with it, as they are from the same parts. and usually you would add a bit of Humic acid, as the blackwater is a bit acidic and the fish are more natural in an environment like that.

I'm not positive, but I believe blackwater is a condition where lots of tannins are leaching into the water causing it to become "tea" coloured (without the milk and sugar).

Some fish prefer their tank water in this condition. Some people really like the look of a blackwater tank as well. You can buy BW treatment to add the tannins to your water. (or whatever it is that colours the water)

In the wild a fish habitat with a lot of wood or leaves regularly entering the water with cause blackwater conditions.
yes, and along with the tannins, the humic acid (which usually comes from the specific type of tree/root in the area) can be added safely to the tank.
as with most things, it really requires a big-ish tank, altho i only have a 10gallon. the neons still loooooove it. :)

Back
Top Bottom