What to look for in CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doraemon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking into getting a CO2 system for my 70gal that I'm setting up. I have an idea of what I'll need, but no idea about what's good and what's not. I'd really appreciate any info on it.

At the very minimum for a pressurized system you need a cylinder, regulator, needle valve, bubble counter, tubing, and reactor. You can add a pH monitor and solenoid if you wish to automate the system.

For a cylinder check with your local welding shop, home brew beer shop, or the best place is a fire extinguisher shop. Try and find a place that will fill your cylinder while you wait and not just exchange it.

For the regulator, needle valve, bubble counter it's hard to beat the one at the AquaBotanic.com store. $99 for the whole unit. You can also get CO2 proof tubing there.

For a reactor I build my own from PVC pipe. There are some great threads on doing so over at the Aquabotanic.com forums. But to really make a DIY reactor work you need to have a cannister filter. You can also buy a nice reactor at AB.

What I meant to ask is... is every regulator or solenoid, etc., the same? Are there some features that I will definitely want to look for and some that are unnecessary?

Well you want a dual Gage regulator. You can buy some made for aquarium use but they tend to run about 2X-3X the price of a normal regulator. As far as the solenoid goes they are all pretty much the same. You want one that is normally closed, so when the power is applied it opens.

Back
Top Bottom