What tool do you use to prune?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Maybe it is a stupid question, but I am going to need to do some pruning soon. Do you just use scissors?

One of these:

HT2000_1.gif

Seriously, though, I use scissors similar to those sold by Amano, but a whole lot less expensive. Same as the 11" curved-end Kelly scissors sold on this site:

http://www.azgardens.com/newtools2.php

A little overkill to buy surgical instruments to trim plants, but I suppose they will never rust. I could see getting a set for my birthday. :p

Is that a chainsaw, Toirtis? LOL Wow, your tank must grow fast! :wink:

I use my fingernails for my very small crypts, my dwarf sag, or my val. I squeeze the stem once with my fingernails; if I don't make a clean cut, I use the aquatic tweezers and the aquatic scissors from DrsFosterSmith. For the tougher stems, like the anubias or the big red wendtii, I use the scissors. I usually don't cut the big wendtii unless a leaf melts, and then I usually don't need the scissors - I can just pick the melted leaf out with my hand.

The aquatic scissors are on sale at DrsFosterSmith now!

I just use surgical scissors. They were just lying around doing nothing so I was like ok those would work. Very sharp and no rusting. I just put my arm in there and cut away.

Back
Top Bottom