What type of algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really can't see it in the picture but is it brownish? Flat or fluffy? So it just rubs right off? That sounds like Diatoms. Diatoms are normally found in new tank setups and since they are self limiting they will go away on their own once excess silicates in the water are used up. Only running lights 6 hours will help slow down the amount that grows but also something like a couple nerite snails will readily clean them up.

I really can't see it in the picture but is it brownish? Flat or fluffy? So it just rubs right off? That sounds like Diatoms. Diatoms are normally found in new tank setups and since they are self limiting they will go away on their own once excess silicates in the water are used up. Only running lights 6 hours will help slow down the amount that grows but also something like a couple nerite snails will readily clean them up.

I run lights from 2pm-8pm and I have 30 nerites they really don't do much. It is brownish,fluffy l and kind of stringy. The tank was set up in April.

Normal algae types don't just turn to dust nor do they wipe off very easily so I'm not sure what you have. Could you maybe get a close up? Sometimes plants will collect a dusty mulm layer on plants that will just brush off. If you take you hand and run it through the plants and shake them gently does it just come off? If so you just may need more current in your tank to keep detris in the water column so your filters can remove it. Current won't allow it to settle on plants.

Normal algae types don't just turn to dust nor do they wipe off very easily so I'm not sure what you have. Could you maybe get a close up? Sometimes plants will collect a dusty mulm layer on plants that will just brush off. If you take you hand and run it through the plants and shake them gently does it just come off? If so you just may need more current in your tank to keep detris in the water column so your filters can remove it. Current won't allow it to settle on plants.

I have roughly 900 gph flowing through the tank using 2 powerhead and 2 spraybars. Ill try to get a close up when I get home

Here a better pic

image-2159579403.jpg

Much better picture and now that I can see the algae it looks like Oedogonium algae. Oedogonium is a short length filamentous algae that can give a fuzzy look to plants.

Much better picture and now that I can see the algae it looks like Oedogonium algae. Oedogonium is a short length filamentous algae that can give a fuzzy look to plants.

Do you know what causes it?

Spores came in with a plant most likely. The stuff is harder to get rid of than a mean ex-wife. Immediately you need to get the infected plant out of there and prune of any infected leaves, making sure to try to control spores.
From there at least a 50% water change, and wipe down the tank walls using disposable medium- ie paper towels, not your regular use magnetic scraper, etc.
Rinse, repeat almost daily till it's gone.
Good Luck!

Edit: Got a PM from a buddy that says API algaefix will help control the outbreak- Never used it, so use at your own risk!

Last edited:
Spores came in with a plant most likely. The stuff is harder to get rid of than a mean ex-wife. Immediately you need to get the infected plant out of there and prune of any infected leaves, making sure to try to control spores.
From there at least a 50% water change, and wipe down the tank walls using disposable medium- ie paper towels, not your regular use magnetic scraper, etc.
Rinse, repeat almost daily till it's gone.
Good Luck!

Edit: Got a PM from a buddy that says API algaefix will help control the outbreak- Never used it, so use at your own risk!

It's only on 4-5 leaves right now so ill pluck them off when I get home hopefully its not what y'all think it is because after researching it sounds like a pain.

Usually if memory serves me it is caused from low CO2 levels and low nutrients. But a lot of things can contribute to algae outbreaks. Are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? Also what are you using for ferts? How many and what type plants do you have? Lastly do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

I do not suggest using any chemicals. Many people have used Algaefix in aquariums with good results and many have lost livestock. It's not a risk I would take since all algae can be eliminated when you get a tank balanced.

You don't need to remove the plants, they can be spot treated with Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. Turn off filters and in a syringe pull up 1-3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of water, hold syringe as close as possible to the algae and slowly squirt the algae. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot of algae you can spot treat an area a day.

Usually if memory serves me it is caused from low CO2 levels and low nutrients. But a lot of things can contribute to algae outbreaks. Are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? Also what are you using for ferts? How many and what type plants do you have? Lastly do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

I do not suggest using any chemicals. Many people have used Algaefix in aquariums with good results and many have lost livestock. It's not a risk I would take since all algae can be eliminated when you get a tank balanced.

You don't need to remove the plants, they can be spot treated with Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. Turn off filters and in a syringe pull up 1-3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of water, hold syringe as close as possible to the algae and slowly squirt the algae. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot of algae you can spot treat an area a day.

Co2 is around 30 ppm I have a drop checker on both sides of the tank and they are both lime green.im using pressurized co2. I have 9 amazon swords,10 hygro compacta, a dwarf Lilly, 10 water wisteria, 8 scarlet temple, and a large amount of dhg. Nitrates are 10-20 phosphates are 2.0 I did run out of co2 for a couple of days I'm in the process of switching from paintball to a 20 lbs tank.

Would excel work also in the place of peroxide?

That lapse in CO2 could have just been enough to throw the tank off. And yes, Excel will work at the same amounts as posted for the peroxide.

What's your tank setup? Eg, light levels, ferts, CO2, tank age?

Tank is 8 months old. I'm using a 48" ray 2 with a beamswork rgb fixture for 6 hours a day. I dose pps pro minus nitrates( my nitrates stay at 10-20 without ferts) co2 is 30 ppm using a Rex grigg reactor and a GLA paintball setup. The tank is a standard 75 gallon. Phosphate are 2.0

Back
Top Bottom