What type of Algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30searay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These are shots of my 110 gallon. Been running for about 6 months. I have a couple types of algae growing recently. Anyone know which type of algae I have and possible corrective action?

Here are the tank vitals:
lighting: 330 watts 10 hours with 2 hour break mid-day
CO2: pressurized; 4-5 bubbles per second, about 30-35 ppm.
Substrate: eco-complete
pH; 6.6 - 6.8
kH: 9
gH: 15
Nitrates 15-20 ppm
phosphates 2-5 ppm
ammonia: nil
nitrites; nil
water changes 50% every other week.

As the last picture shows, the tank is pretty clear of algae.

img_836293_0_ae2209e376eea6bd7306de88483e57fa.jpg

img_836293_1_4e7db40972a78e9f001983d3cf71759b.jpg

img_836293_2_a6ca239ca55f0539b8f62bd87e60b516.jpg

To me, it looks like the start of sopme dreaded Cyanobacteria (aka blue-green algae)

Is it slimy?
Are your algae eaters ignoring it?
Does it have a strange (almost sweet, but disgusting) smell?

I'm sure others will have or reference other criteria to confirm or ID it, if it is Cyanobacteria.

I would advise you to vacuum it out right away, maybe save it in a jar or something as this thread progresses or for reference purposes. Normal room light should keep it alive for the time being.

Definitely looks like BGA (Cyanobacteria) too me. ;)

Most likely due to either low circulation or Nitrates dropping out.

Lonewolfblue said:
Definitely looks like BGA (Cyanobacteria) too me. ;)

Most likely due to either low circulation or Nitrates dropping out.

Low circulation is defintely a problem at the base of the tank. What recommendations do any of you have to improve bottom circulation? With the depth of the tank I get no movement down there.

In my 29G, I have a small powerhead on the back wall of the tank facing the front glass. That moves the water down the front of the glass and to the bottom.

Well, I took Lonewolf's advice and simply pointed the CO2 return pipe a bit towards the bottom to try and generate some water flow down at the bottom of the tank. I also did more water changes than normal (50% every 10-12 days and 20-25% every 5-6 days) and really kept an eye on the fertilizer levels. Interestingly, the algae disappeared on its own. I did not vacumm it out as I am trying to better understand the conditions in which algae will get the upper hand and grow. Not sure what happened here, but there is no sign of it anywhere. Maybe the pleco's, shrimp, or SAE's ate it? None showed much interest in it before. The tank is virtually free of algae now.

Now if anyone has advice/ideas for carpet plants that are easier to care for than glosso. My glosso simply rotted out after a short period of good growth and spreading. NOt ussre if lighting is the issue but still looking for a good alternative.

Hemianthus micranthemoides

I have a boat load in my 29g tank. I wanted a 2" carpet and right now its probably 5". Too tall for my 29g so i'm trimming it and sending it to another AA member this weekend. However, might look nice in your much taller 110.

Nothing eats BGA. It probably was just enough flow to make it to where the BGA couldn't thrive, and it died off and disolved away. And the water changes probably helped quite a bit as well.

Back
Top Bottom