What type of Algae/moss is this and how do I remove it completely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I've recently notice this Algae growing on my plants and rocks in my planted tank. I believe they are not good for the aquarium but don't know how to remove or destroy them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398020227.019745.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398020289.647344.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398020320.090281.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398020350.591334.jpg

I believe that is BBA (black beard algae). Keep your lights on for only 6-8 hours. Do you dose any liquid carbon like flourish? If not, I suggest dosing either flourish, metricide14, or excel.

What FishCr8zy said! Just want to add, you can also "spot treat" with a syringe and 3% solution hydrogen peroxide.

Brian, the peroxide , is that the same stuff u get in a bottle from the chemist or is it specific? Does it harm the fish? Thanks

you can buy hydrogen peroxide off any grocery store shelf. Just dilute it accordingly.

Yes you get it at the grocery store, it's a 3% solution. You spot treat straight up.. no dilution. You basically shut off your filters and powerheads, whatever creates water movement. Take a syringe, draw up some H2O2, bring the syringe right up to the BBA and inject slowly. I believe it's safe to use up to 1.5 to 2ml per gallon. You'll see the BBA start fizzing with lots of tiny bubbles. After 15 minutes or so, you can turn your filter back on. You know it's working when the BBA turns red or pink the next day.

Last edited:
Too much will kill fish... you have to make sure to do it sparingly. Google it... there's tons of threads and videos of hobbyists doing it. H202 turns into water after it's been exposed shortly after. So it's safe.

Here's an example YouTube vid I found. He's treating BGA, but you can use the H202 with a syringe all the same for BBA.

Thanks everyone, bought some HP today, took the plants out, gave them a squirt and put them back, fingers x'd

Back
Top Bottom