What type of lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IttyBittyFishy.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I am new to planted tanks and unsure what type of lighting I should use. The tank is 20 gallons (24 in. by 12 in. by 16 in.). All the plants I plan on getting require 2-5 wpg (according to my research). The tank will also be housing neon tetras which I know appreciate lower lighting. So I have a few questions. First, what type of lighting fixture should I get. I have heard a lot about the T5HO ones but they are all so expensive. Are there any good types of lighting at I can get on a budget? Next, how bright should the lights be. I guess I would have to be bright enough for the plants but not too bright for the tetras. Thank you so much for your help!

First, are you planning on a hi tech setup? If so, I'd suggest going with the T5s. No point in skimping on light, especially if you've already landed on plants that need high lighting. Then you have to factor in the cost of all CO2 related equipment. If no CO2, then you should think about lower light intensity and plants that fall in that category. Frankly, there are beautiful tanks that are low tech and a this is a lot less expensive. Please provide more info on what plants you're planning on and your CO2 setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wasn't planning on using Co2 so I guess low tech.

The plants I am planning on

Cyperus helferi
Anubias nana
Java moss
Water Sprite
Duckweed

Thanks for helping! I have never done live plants before.

Cyprus Helferi is not a beginner plant. Requires a lot of light. With Duckweed, you'll not have enough light for Helferi. I have mixed feelings about Duckweed. I think it's more of a nuisance. Anubias Nana is a beginner plant. Definitely recommended. Java moss grows well with more lighting, but does not necessarily need it. Neither does water Sprite. So I'd say eliminate Helferi from the list and get beginner plants like Amazon Swords or Java Ferns. Then you definitely will not need T5 HOs and can go with much cheaper lighting setups. With lower lighting, you'll avoid some major algae issues that will otherwise plague your tank without CO2.

Hello, experts out there, thoughts?

Plantnoob, I think you pretty much covered it. IMO duckweed is a nuisance.
If we are talking low light, then you might want to consider crypts.
One stem plants that I had pretty good luck with in a variety of light levels, including low, is Bacopa caroliniana.

Duckweed can be a nuisance but can easily be managed. My fish love picking at it. Cheap fish entertainment.

Though I would still like to know, what type of light would be good?

LED units are becoming more and more available and the prices are are getting better. Aside from not having to change bulbs, they run a lot cooler, typically have a slim chassis, and have a long service life.
There are a variety of fixtures out there and selecting the correct one for your application is important. For the plants you've listed and the tank dimensions, the Finnex StingRay and FugeRay come to mind. On Amazon they cost about $49 and $70, respectively. The StingRay produces less light than the FugeRay. I picked up a FugeRay in 2013 and I am still using it today. In a shallower tank (20g long is 12" tall) I was able to grow most medium light plants. I was also using a yeast based DIY CO2 setup.
I also own two other Finnex fixtures: Planted+ and the Planted+ 24/7 (or simply, 24/7). The latter is only $12 more than the FugeRay but it allows you to control the light intensity (the other Finnex models do not have that feature). I think that is a big plus because it allows you to customize the light to your plants needs.

Back
Top Bottom