What Will Happen if I Stop Injecting CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I should decide to stop the pressurized CO2 on my 29 gallon tank and convert it into a low tech tank, what will happen to the plants if I just stop? Will I create algae soup?

I was going to upgrade my lights to 2x55 watts but then I thought about my upcoming vacations this summer, once for one week and then again for 2 weeks and how would I keep my tank up while I'm gone, there's nobody that I can count on to take care of it. I've been giving low-tech a lot of thought lately, it's a lot less work, less money, etc. I've seen some spectacular tanks that are non-CO2 injected and are running less than 2 wpg of light. This is beginning to sound so very appealing to me, and I'm wondering if this would be do-able for me?

My lights are just under 2 wpg, as I'm running 1x55 watts over 29 gallons. I have a 90% flourite subtrate and approximately 8 fish, a pair of Blue Rams, a pair of Apisto Red Tails, 2 Lemon Tetras and 2 Ottos, which should Maybe I could upgrade in the fall.

Has anyone just stopped injecting CO2 after running it for a few months and if so, what happened to your plants?

Thanks!
Linda

Lower the light levels first, for a week or two, then stop the CO2 injection.

plants will probably drop a few leaves, some may even die (not sure what all you're keeping)...in other words there will be a transition phase for a couple weeks.

if nutrient levels are still balanced, any algae you get should be minor, rather than a large scale outbreak.

If your main reason for not keeping the CO2 is NOT due to the vacations then go low-tech.

If your main reason for not keeping the CO2 is the vacations then get a bottle of Excel and have the person feeding the fish add in some every couple days. I can't imagine that its too much trouble to ask the person feeding the fish to add in a capful of Excel 4 or 5 times while your gone for those 2 weeks, you could even aliquot out the Excel into individual containers so the person has to do even less work.

Obviously if you have an autofeeder and no one will be there this won't work, but otherwise this is a good option.

justin

I plan on using an automatic feeder when I go on vacation, I don't really have anyone I can depend on close enough to feed my fish and dose excel. The vacation for two weeks in Maine, I may only go for one, I'm not sure I can be away from my fish for that long a period of time. My dog is coming with me but I just would not feel comfortable leaving the fish for 2 weeks even with an automatic feeder. One week is more than enough as far as I'm concerned, but I will cross that bridge when the time comes, it's not until the end of August.

Another reason I want to go low tech is the fact that I've been suffering with a bad case of Sciatica for over a year now, and something about the way I bend over my tank or lift the buckets of water leaves me in pain for a few days, and just when it seems to be getting back under control, it's time to do water changes again! Oh my husband offers to help me out with the water changes, but he has no patience, dumps the water in the tank in a big hurry and crushes all my plants. You know that old saying, if you want something done right, you need to do it yourself. Also, I work full-time and I just never have any time for myself anymore or even more important my Labrador Retriever who requires a lot of exercise and loves the outdoors, I haven't been fair to him lately, so there's a lot to consider.

I'm still on the fence though, haven't made up my mind yet whether I want to go low-tech, but I am giving it some serious thought.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated!
Linda

You might be surprised, but most fish will do that two weeks without issue. I used to stress about leaving my fish. Now, I feed them real well a few days before I leave, do a water change and go heavy on the ferts. I also switch half the lights off (approx down to 3wpg from 6wpg) and leave the CO2 running.

I come home after two weeks, fish are hungry but other wise fine. And the plants are just fine. So it may be a bit stressful to leave em, but they will be fine.

A random idea that occurs to me as I write this.... What if you put dry ferts in the autofeeder with the food? There is one I will have to play with...because it may turn out to be a winner (even one feeder for dry ferts, and one for food..... hmmmm ;-)

Zezmo,

I'd be very hesitant to dose ferts this way, especially since you will be feeding at the same time. While I'm sure most ferts are safe if accidentally eaten, there probably is 1 fish in her tank that will kick the bucket by trying to eat the ferts.

Then you have a nightmare ammonia problem just waiting to take the rest of the fish out.

I know its a longshot, but I wouldn't take the chance with ferts. I agree with fertilizing heavier than normal before you leave, and cutting the lights down somewhat, but I wouldn't try to dry dose ferts with a feeder.

What they need (someone probably sells it), is a liquid feeder, something that will drip in ferts at a specified schedule. Not only would that be great for vacations, but for those of us that don't keep notes (not me of course :) ), it would keep our fert additions consistent.

Something else you could consider to make things easier on yourself, is to go ahead and pick up a Python. I hear people raving about these all the time, and then you wouldn't have to worry about lifting those heavy buckets. Hopefully that's the main source of your pain, and you'll only have mild to no discomfort to the twisting and bending to get the rest of the maintenance done.

As far as your vacation goes, using Zezmo's advice should allow you to safely leave your tank and not have to worry about coming home to a tank filled with algae. Unless you have a really reliable feeder, you're actually probably better off not feeding the fish while your gone (same goes for the idea on using a feeder for dry ferts). Much more likely to have problems due to the feeder dumping too much food (or ferts) than giving everybody a nice healthy fast.

Thank you all, excellent ideas, I have read that fish can go long periods of time without food, I didn't think that long though but I'm thrilled to hear it. I have a lot to think about.

I would say definitely get a Python, whether you get rid of the CO2 or not....you'll wonder why on earth you didn't get one a zillion years ago. They just might BE the best thing since sliced bread.

I have a pretty reliable auto-feeder that I've had for years, I have no idea what kind it is. It has little bins to put each day's food in, and so far I have had no problems with it. They aren't cheap, but you can probably get a good deal online, same with the Python. If I go away for less than a week I don't use it, more than a week I do.

Hmmm....too bad you're in Mass....a little closer and I'd go feed your fishies for you! They'll be fine, though, don't worry about them.

Back
Top Bottom