What wrong with my plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevekerr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My plant is falling apart
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402161551.757607.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402161708.746080.jpg

I have many java ferns that are fine

Could this algea have anything too do with itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402161800.633460.jpg

I have just regular lights that came with the tank and I had that tank runing for 10 years but switched to real plants a year ago and yes I fertilize once a week

How long have you had that sword plant? It looks like it could be emersed leaves, but the new growth coming out of the center looks like it might be stunted. It's hard to tell from the photos.

Do you use root tabs? Swords are heavy root feeders..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will get some root tap

You can tons of your own root tabs by ordering empty gelcaps and filling them with osmocote plus, way cheaper and they don't start to fall apart like some commercial tabs do when they touch the water. I use the diy tabs in my tanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1402294972032.jpg
    1402294972032.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 67
Also if your light bulbs are over a year old, you may want to swap them out. You don't need to get super fancy for Ferns and Swords but it's an opportunity to get the correct bulbs for your fixture and plants.

UV output drops in older light bulbs AFAIK.

Put lights on a timer. Don't run lights more than 8 hours a day and if you have Algae, drop it to 6 hours a day and increase water changes and check water tests.

Algae is caused by
Too much light or
Overfeeding or
Not enough PWCs or
Water chemistry out of balance.

A balanced tank has very little algae. You just have to find the combo of Light/Ferts/PWCs that works for you. Since you have Low Light that simplifies it.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom