Whats A Good Turnover Rate For Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 30g rimless cube that I want to do a high tech planted tank with. The tank is a drilled tank with an overflow that used to be my frag tank for coral. I want to keep it set up with a sump but am not sure what the best pump would be to use. I was looking at a quietone 1200, I have had the brand in the past on my 75g and Iv had the pump for years and it still works. The 1200 would have about 190gph going through it with my 4ish foot head thats on the tank. Would this be enough? I know you dont want a ton of flow with a planted tank.

The reason I am doing a sump is because 1 its already setup for it kinda, right now its tied to my 220g but I am just going to seperate it and use a 5g tank as a sump. This way it will hold the heater, filter pads, and it will give me a place to put my co2 diffuser. I was thinking by the time the co2 goes through the sump and up the return it will be pretty well disolved into the water and my tank will be clean of any heats or tubing.

Hi planted tanks nowadays tend to have high turn overs. Main problem being not directing to much flow towards the plants? So needs to be deflected if possible? You want to see the plants gently swaying in the current if possible. Good luck.
Also I think a good substrate is vital in a planted set up:)

Hi planted tanks nowadays tend to have high turn overs. Main problem being not directing to much flow towards the plants? So needs to be deflected if possible? You want to see the plants gently swaying in the current if possible. Good luck.
Also I think a good substrate is vital in a planted set up:)

well what is the gph nowdays? 190 gph would give me 6.somethin times turnover

For freshwater you want 5-10x turnover. This includes flow from filters and power heads.

Whether you want closer to 5 or 10 depends more on the fish species than the plants.

I.E. You wouldn't want to torture poor swimmers like guppies or betas with super high flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For freshwater you want 5-10x turnover. This includes flow from filters and power heads.

Whether you want closer to 5 or 10 depends more on the fish species than the plants.

I.E. You wouldn't want to torture poor swimmers like guppies or betas with super high flow.

fish will be:

Pair GBR
10-15 Cardinal Tetras
Pleco

Maybe a small power head same side of the tank as the sump return but lower. Will create the unidirectional flow river fish are used to and help with any dead zones near the bottom of tank. Just aim so not uprooting or stirring up the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom