Whats going on with my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I have noticed the change in coloration and appearance of my plants, they look like stuff growing on them, some look like something may be nibbling on them, some look as if they may have some leaves dieing off, etc...IDK....
I use flourish comp 1x weekly and flourish excel daily and subtrate 2 inches of flourite and 1-2 pfs...i also use api root tabs monthly.......help please

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My first planted tank - Picture
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My first planted tank - Picture

Hi Geronica. What's your lighting schedule like? I see some dying leaves but it looks like the plants are still in pretty good shape. I'd just trim the dead/dying leaves close to their base and keep an eye on it. The algae looks like spot algae to me but I could be wrong. Does it wipe off?

It looks like green spot algae to me too. But also in the first picture some of those plant leaves are yellow and have to wonder if you need to be dosing potassium. Seachem makes a liquid potassium that is easy to use. Green spot algae is usually caused by too much lighting, so what type of lighting do you have and how long do you run it? Also excess nutrients play a hand in it but in my tank I find if I let my phosphate level drop below 1ppm I start seeing it on my anubia leaves that are closer to higher light levels.

I don't have a consistent lighting schedule; however, for the most part I turn them on between 7a-9a and then they may go off between 7p-10p...I haven't tried to rub any off the leaves...if it does what do I do? If it does not rub off what do I do?

Your lights should only be on around 8 hours especially if your having algae issues. Green spot algae won't rub off between your fingers. In fact only nerite snails have the capability of being able to scrape off GSA and eat it.

Your lights should only be on around 8 hours especially if your having algae issues. Green spot algae won't rub off between your fingers. In fact only nerite snails have the capability of being able to scrape off GSA and eat it.

Okay, I will have an 8 hour schedule starting tomorrow (turned them off now). So will the gsa stay like that or will it spread until I either get nerite snail or something? Also, on any leaf that appears to be changing colors, do i need to cut off or do you feel I need to get the potassium?

The GSA can eventually just kind of disappear if tank conditions causing it are corrected but I keep a few nerites in my tank anyway. I'd cut the yellowing leaf off but watch your plants, especially that one, and if you notice more yellowing on it and or other plants I would see about getting some potassium. Don't spend the money until it looks like it's warranted.

The GSA can eventually just kind of disappear if tank conditions causing it are corrected but I keep a few nerites in my tank anyway. I'd cut the yellowing leaf off but watch your plants, especially that one, and if you notice more yellowing on it and or other plants I would see about getting some potassium. Don't spend the money until it looks like it's warranted.

oKay thank you..I will trim leaf and keep a watchful eye

Back
Top Bottom