Whats growing on my Java Ferns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asohfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i am aware that Java Ferns grow new roots and leafs on leafs themselves. I have seen some pictures online identifying these new growths but non of them has exactly the same type of growth i am experiencing. Have a look at the pictures, are those white stuffs still roots ?

Attachments

• 20141002_214436.jpg
    20141002_214436.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 95
Think that's just nasty algae my friend.. how long the lights on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply. OMG i just made some research and found out its "Staghorn Algae " . Now i have to try to get rid of it. My light is on for about 10-11hours a day.

Yow! I would cut the lights back to 6 hours a day (maybe even try 3 hours on, 2 hours off, then another 3 on) and spot treat that algae with some Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will do that; It's my fault, i initially taught those where fern roots growing and i happily let it grow. I have other Ferns in my aquarium who are not even affected, what could be the reason ?

I will do that; It's my fault, i initially taught those where fern roots growing and i happily let it grow. I have other Ferns in my aquarium who are not even affected, what could be the reason ?

I'm not an algae expert (getting there fast with my tank) but it seems to me that certain plants attract algae more than others, even the same species in the same tank. Not sure why. Could be that particular plant has slower growth, or is maybe in a spot in the tank with not a lot of water flow. I'm discovering there are a ton of variables when it comes to battling algae.

Back
Top Bottom