What's growing on my new lava rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added a cool piece of lava rock I found at my LFS to my cycling 10 gallon. That was 5 days ago. Tonight I noticed several very tiny stems with 2 tiny leaves growing from it. I tried to get a close up of them. See the picture below. Anyone know what this is? I'm kind of excited if this is going to propagate and become some kind of moss.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394163838.886204.jpg

That'd be so cool if its a moss.it deffinatly looks like a simple organism so far so it should be a short plant,potentially good for breeding grounds or good looks.lol

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No way of knowing until it gets bigger. What other plants are in your tank? It may have just been seeds that hitched a rid for awhile. I don't thing any aquarium plants release seeds that are able to travel like that but I could be wrong.

So far I only have an anubias and 7 stalks of anacharis. I have a feeling they were seeds already on the rock. Although I'm surprised they survived. I soaked it in some pretty hot water and scrubbed it a couple times before putting it in the tank.

I have found a few of these in my tanks right now they just would pop out of the substrate and never get over an inch and always had 2 leaves

They looks like something terrestrial almost..very cool!

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure I've seen little guys like this pop up from the dirt in my yard after a good rain.

A couple more popped up today. We'll see if they stay or if it's a temporary thing.

I don't know about you, but it looks cool what ever it is. If it keeps growing, it would look really pretty if it covered the entire rock! If that happens, can I buy it from you? :p

My guess would be that the lava rock has picked up random seeds, maybe when stored outside and that they won't come to much.
I really hope that I'm wrong though. Can you keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom