Whats growing on my plants help !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin144

Aquarium Advice Freak
This stuff is growing all over my tank ? Started on the plants and is now on filters , heaters , gravel everything

image-2846824182.jpg

Looks like black beard algae (BBA). Hopefully others will chime in on successful removal techniques and preventative measures. Most likely caused by an imbalance of lights, fertilizers, and CO2.

Yep. definitely BBA.

What lights are you running over your tank?
How big is the tank?
How long are the lights left on?
Are you adding any fertilizer to the tank?
Are you adding a carbon source?

Start by dropping your lighting period down to 6 hours / day. Then I would manually remove as much as you can. After that turn off your filter / powerhead and spot treat the BBA with standard hydrogen peroxide using a syringe and 1ml / g of hydrogen peroxide.

With the extra information we can help point you in the right direction towards controlling it.

It's a regular 10 gallon lighting unit and I turn it off every night at 9 and turn it back on at 6:15

That's your main problem. 15 hours a day of lighting is waaaay too much. drop it down to 6 hours daily until you get the algae problem under control and then you can increase that up to maybe 10 hours a day. If you really want you could use a timer to keep your lights on at consistent times. You could also split the lighting period up into 2 different periods to increase the amount of viewing time.

You can use 1 to 3ml of peroxide to every gallon of water for treating and also be sure to leave your filters off for 20 minutes after treating to allow the peroxide time to work. You can do an area a day if you have a lot of BBA to treat.

Back
Top Bottom