Whats occurin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welshy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey just to fill you in on some info on my tank before I get to my question/problems. My tank is a 190l corner unit 42 UK gal, set up for over 3 years all parameters are fine, I am running the supplied internal filter along with a fluval 405. Lighting is 2x28w t5 high lite 9000k and 2x20w t8 18000k glo tubes ( designed for plant growth apparently, high in blue and red peaks)so thats 96w over 42 gal, livestock consists of guppies Platys tetra and corys plus a few snails. I am also running diy co2.The 2x20w tubes have been in for around 2-3 weeks after being installed under the hood (diy), co2 around 1-2 months ( replaced bottles obviously) drop checker reads sufficient.

Right, now the background is out of the way my question is, i recently removed some java fern from the rock it came on from the lfs as I was moving a few bits around and attached it to my driftwood a week or so on and a large number of the leaves have started to brown up and melt/decay, is this due to being moved/pulled from the rock and attached to driftwood or is something else occurring? I have also noticed that one of my anubias has one leaf which started off as a small hole and now the leaf has virtually disappeared, any ideas? Surely my tank hasn't got too much light to keep java and anubias. Has anyone got any ideas it's really frustrating me, just when I thought I was getting to grips with planted tanks they now seem to be throwing problems at me and I don't know what to do. Please help me!!!!!!!!

From what I've read, any light over 10,000k is virtually useless to plants. So you basically have 56w of usable light for the plants. Now this shouldn't necessarily be the cause of the java fern or anubias problems as they are both plants that can survive under lower light conditions.

I'm not quite sure why this would be happening, but I wanted to chime in on your lighting situation.

Viper said:
From what I've read, and light over 10,000k is virtually useless to plants. So you have basically have 56w of usable light for the plants. Now this shouldn't necessarily be the cause of the jave fern or anubias problems as they are both plants that can survive under lower light conditions.

I'm not quite sure why this would be happening, but I wanted to chime in on your lighting situation.

Cheers, I have heard this too and resigned myself to the fact that ive been sold a duff but still can't understand what's causing this, would the java fern be suffering distress after being removed from rock to driftwood?

Cheers, I have heard this too and resigned myself to the fact that ive been sold a duff but still can't understand what's causing this, would the java fern be suffering distress after being removed from rock to driftwood?

I can't see that being the problem as the rock was most certainly not providing a source of nutrients for the fern. I have never had luck with plants so unfortunately I really can't explain why this is happening. Possibly a nutrient deficiency of some sort?

Viper said:
I can't see that being the problem as the rock was most certainly not providing a source of nutrients for the fern. I have never had luck with plants so unfortunately I really can't explain why this is happening. Possibly a nutrient deficiency of some sort?

Cheers for the advice! Anyone else have any ideas???????

Well, I wouldn't say that the 18,000k bulbs do nothing for the plants, they just don't provide as much usable light.

As far as the problem, I've seen my java moss do the same thing. It seems to me that the parts that are covered seem to do this. It could be that the brown you're seeing was what used to be covered. That's the only thing I've figured out. Unless its some sort of algae covering it.

mfdrookie516 said:
Well, I wouldn't say that the 18,000k bulbs do nothing for the plants, they just don't provide as much usable light.

As far as the problem, I've seen my java moss do the same thing. It seems to me that the parts that are covered seem to do this. It could be that the brown you're seeing was what used to be covered. That's the only thing I've figured out. Unless its some sort of algae covering it.

Never thought of that but why would the same sort of thing be affecting the anubias, doesn't seem to be any algae only diatoms which are reducing, I have just read about phosphate and having too much can kill plants....not sure how I could test this but I don't dose ferts?

From what I've read, any light over 10,000k is virtually useless to plants. So you basically have 56w of usable light for the plants. Now this shouldn't necessarily be the cause of the java fern or anubias problems as they are both plants that can survive under lower light conditions.

What about a 10,000K bulb exactly?

Back
Top Bottom