Whats on my java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this java fern for quite some time and I've noticed this black stuff on the driftwood and the bottom of the fern. Not sure if its algae or the wood rotting or what

Attachments

• 1390844711320.jpg
    1390844711320.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 1390844730385.jpg
    1390844730385.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 131
I am not seeing what you are talking about specifically, but java fern leaves as they get old start to turn black and brown. They can be trimmed to make room for new growth.

Its black fuzz, you can see it sorta see it in the middle of the plant. I'll try to get a better picture later

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ah I see what you are talking about.

Most likely these are roots. when java ferns mature, they grow plantlets and start growing roots. They get kind of ugly as they get older.

The other thing it could be is black beard algae, but it looks like roots most likely. A closer pic would confirm.

Mind are 4 months old and have started getting brownish and growing new little plants of the longer ( mother) leaves, this could be what's up with yours op.

Its not the long string-like thing, I know thats a root. Its on the bases of thr leaves and on the bottom of the driftwood when I pick it up. I can pull it off of the wood and the fern.

Have yet to get a better pic. Will try to do it this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom