What's on my Java Moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mouldywhale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, this is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong place or whatnot. I have just got back into the hobby after not doing so well for a while due to personal problems, but I have really been trying to get my little planted tank to something nice. Anyway I've got some Java moss which is around 6 months in the tank and it seems to have a white cotton like substance on it, I was just wondering if anybody could help me with what it is?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

716652344f7b6a0da46846e56f635daa.jpg

Sent from my Fire Phone using Tapatalk

No one ? I think I've had my tank a little warm for it and am slowly bringing it down to 73 is that OK for most plants?

Actually, that's algae. Are you leaving your lights on too long?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

You should focus on the temp that your fish need not your plants. Plants come 2nd and most plants will survive in the temp your fish will. Most. Not all

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I didn't have a timer before so when I went away I would leave the light on for like 2 days, I have invested in one now though and changed the water added some riccea and hornwort. Thanks for the reply. Any tips on what do do if anything?

Only platy and Cory's in at the moment so temp can be quite flexible I've read

The whitish stuff on the bottom edge of the moss frond/stem could be the attachment points (I want to call them rhizomes or rhizoids but I could be wrong) or a type of fungus or both.
I would not worry about it. I keep my tanks at 78-80 F and it's fine for the moss, plants, and fish (tetras, rasboras).
Get yourself a timer and take the guesswork out of proper light duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The whitish stuff on the bottom edge of the moss frond/stem could be the attachment points (I want to call them rhizomes or rhizoids but I could be wrong) or a type of fungus or both.
I would not worry about it. I keep my tanks at 78-80 F and it's fine for the moss, plants, and fish (tetras, rasboras).
Get yourself a timer and take the guesswork out of proper light duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yeah got a timer now, lowered temps, no algae anywhere else so I think your right about the rhizomes have seen that somewhere else, everything else seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom