Whats the Magic in keeping plant..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am talking about keeping plants with out CO2 and under gravel dirt, but with t5 or t8 lights........
I see some great looking tanks, plants are lush and growing really well, yet they don't have any of the above, so what is causing this to happen in some tanks but not in others..........

With a ugf you'll want to avoid any rooted plants, stick to anubias, java fern and mosses, floating stems like anarchis and horn wort as well.. finding a balance with lighting and nutrients is key.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ferts and picking the right plants. And avoiding fish that eat plants.

Java Fern
Crypts
Moss Balls

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm growing the latter two under a dual T5 normal output, EcoComplete, root tablets, with no CO2, glut, or water column ferts and they are doing fine. The dual T5NO is brighter that the single T5 and T-8 but not by a whole lot. I'm also trying Ammania bonsai, Lemon bacopa, and star repens in this tank as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its all about researching what you want and finding plants that work for your set up. Many folks head out and buy a bunch of plants, no knowing what kind or how they prefer to grow. With my tanks, I like the amazon sword as it seems to take a beating and thrives. Java fern is popular, but I think it looks ratty. Crypts are my favorite plant as long as you have root tabs (easy). I also have some Water Wisteria that is sort of pissing me off since its turning brown on the lower areas while the top is blossoming. I like easy, so if it doesnt get it together, I will remove it.

Research hardy beginner plants for low tech tanks and you should be good to go. Plants are as addicting as fish, maybe more in the long run.

With a ugf you'll want to avoid any rooted plants, stick to anubias, java fern and mosses, floating stems like anarchis and horn wort as well.. finding a balance with lighting and nutrients is key.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Seconds this except hornwort. Only because it's so messy if it decides to croak.
Wisteria is a great and super easy addition. All thanks to the brook though for my recent addition!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tank is a perfect example of what can be done without dirt, co2, or excel. The key and is balance. So many plants can do perfectly fine in low tech environment but I feel a lot of people think low tech means no ferts are needed and this is simple not true.

The idea is provide enough light to grow plants but not too quick. They will demand far less co2 and nutrients that was. This means they are not struggling to grow and stay healthy. With healthy plants, low light, the right ferts, you will not have algae problems.

Water changes are super important.

Crypts are a low techs tank dream plant. Same with anubias. I would also look.at Asian ambilia, water sprite, some hygrophila species, and some swords. Vallisenaria can be great for background plants.

Can't go wrong with Bolbitis heudelotii. IMO its one unique low tech plant.

Root tabs are important too.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't help but feel like people who claim to grow plants without ferts have a healthy amounts of micro nutrients already available in their tap water.

For me, in my very soft tap water I can't grow plants well at all without supplementing. Granted I am under 2 t8 tubes but with the addition of micros and glut I can't stop my low light plants from thriving.

What about your macros?

I don't or haven't dosed yet but I have dry ferts if need be. I run a bit of crushed coral in the filter and have a healthy supply of nitrates.

I think the light in my shrimp tank is low enough to not promote rapid growth and excessive nutrient demands. The tank is 1.5 years and I believe nutrients may be leaching from the substrate (un-vacuumed EcoComplete).
Interestingly, the crypts I had in my planted tank looked worse than the ones in my low light tank. Growth was rapid, leaves and stems were larger, but the leaf shapes and sizes were inconsistent and the color paled to it low light counter parts. On the flip side, the broadleaf chain sword and Alternanthera spp did poorly in the shrimp tank (they ded)
Yep, it's all about the balance.

Thanks for your in put all, no algae in my tank, I have plant tabs and use liquid ferts and when I do a wc I spot check any problems with Excel and that seems to work, most plants are surviving, but not flourishing as I would expect.......what about "temperature", I'm at 26, Angel and rams like it.........anyway have made notes on plants so thanks

Don't think its temp. Plants can still grow fine during heat treatment which temps reach 86 or higher.

Back
Top Bottom