What's the Secret to Star Repens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I really like the look of Star Repens, but I've tried to plant it a couple times with no luck. It seems like they always melt and the stems float off. What's the trick to making these things grow? I've got ferts, good light, and I inject CO2.

Full disclosure: I have cories in my tank, and I don't know if they are contributing to this issue. I've never seen them eat the plants, but I also work and sleep. Ditch the cories and watch the stars go wild?

Thanks guys.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

I just put fert tabs around and under them. DIY co2 leaf zone. Flourish and co2 booster.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aqua_chem,

I'm using an Ecoxotic E-Series LED on a 29 gal tank. I'm using compressed CO2 and I'm dosing PPS Pro and Osmocote+ root tabs. Do you think that the tank is just too deep?

Shouldn't be a light issue, although if the stems are melting, it's usually that, CO2, or a circulation thing. Do you have a drop checker?

I do. I'm working on dialing it in, it's usually bright green, not quite that lime green everyone shoots for. Circulation is pretty good. It's at the front of the tank, and I've got an AquaClear filter with the flow directed at the front. Flow comes across the plants.

Max, you remember my star roller coaster?? took almost a year to fill in a mnd sustain. Went through 3 major melts/regrow.. makes no sense..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The secret is monkey dust. You can find it at your LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bcarl - You were dealing with either salt and/or other substances related to the RO filter, right? What was the conclusion of your testing?
Knock on driftwood, this has been one of my more reliable plants to grow.

At this point the case is wide open. I think we can rule out the RO water and salt theory. I get back home this week and can provide an update to my tank/repens. I do miss my carpet though....

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!

I think a lot of my issue stems from the cories. I've read that stars melt pretty easily, but they work up a big root system and then grow. Well as the plants melt, my cories eat the leaves and the stems die.

Yeah, should find it somewhere by the algae seeds.

I have stars growing in low light as well. Very slow growth, no algae, no melt. No ferts except for osmocote+ tabs for the nearby crypts.

Back
Top Bottom