What's this on my java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sophiamarvv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a java fern today and I just took it out of the bag and I found something on the leaves. I wasn't sure if maybe someone knows what this is? Id greatly appreciate if anyone might have anything to share. They are raised and I'm worried it's some kind of eggs or something? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398731293.154265.jpg I tried my best to get a really good picture but they're so tiny. It looks like a mass of bubbles or eggs in one single circle you see in the picture. :/

Like the bad kind everybody hates to have? :/ I know my parents talk about how way back when no one would buy live plants because of snail infestations.

They are easy to take care of, I do believe a hydrogen peroxide dip usually suffices. You can also scrape them off before the dip for maybe better results. Just google removing snails from plants or sanitizing plants

Okay that sounds good. I was googling it while waiting for a response and I saw a lot of "dip in bleach" but I just feel leery of that way, I like peroxide more. Thank you, I really didn't want snails.

I actually found many posts on google saying it could be the new sprouts before it starts to actually grow. Does anyone have any experience seeing this before it starts to sprout?

No those are not sprouts. Java ferns propagate by sending baby plants off the tip of old leaves. The baby then grows roots and detaches itself from the mother plants.
I am pretty sure the black dots are snails though I can't be sure what kind because the dots are a bit blurry. Have the dots moved? If you get snail population explosions in your tank, get assassin snails. But I would also recommend dipping plants in peroxide to remove any pests.

I guess it could be either or! Me and my boyfriend figured we'll just wait till tomorrow and see if they move, and if not we'll wait and see if it starts budding :) thank you everyone!

Or you could just dip them. If they are snail they die, if they are plant spores they live. )

It's very easy to tell the difference between spores and snail egg sac's. Egg sac's are a gel substance that you can usually see tiny dark dots in which are the individual snails. Often you can rub them off with your finger nail and they are slimy. Spores are brown or black perfect circle's that are firmly attached to the plant. They are a solid color. They are also found on the back part of a leaf. The picture looks like spores to me.

My boyfriend tried to scrape it off and he said it wouldn't budge, so I'm guessing that'd be spores then.

Back
Top Bottom