What's this stuff sprouting from my driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I've been away from home for a little while and when I got back to the tank I noticed that there are these white things that seem to be sprouting out of the pores in my driftwood. The wood's been in there for over a year so I don't think it's resin that's just now seeping out. I'm thinking it could be some kind of snail egg or maybe some weird fungus. Any ideas on what it might be or wether it's dangerous? View attachment 245568View attachment 245569View attachment 245570

Welcome to the wonderful world of nerite snail eggs. Aside from being good at eating algae, their other specialty is making DW look like a sesame seed bun, unfortunately.

They'll keep laying them and they won't hatch in FW. They'll also take a long time to dissolve. During my maintenance, when I used to have them, I would scrape them off or poke them off ASAP with a skewer stick. It got so annoying to me, I stopped keeping nerite snails.

Back
Top Bottom