Whats up with my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDawg90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I woke up this morning and all of my plants in my tank have started growing something that looks like roots growing off the stem. One of them is almost three inches long now. I've got a wisteria, 2 anacharis and 2 amazon swords and they all are doing it. I've attached a picture of one of the growths, it's the only one I could get a good picture of.

Attachments

• image-145728733.jpg
    image-145728733.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 49
I haven't noticed aerial roots on my sword plants but almost everything else develops then to some extent, particularly bunch plants
In my experience bunch plants don't take root at the base of the stem
When I put a sprig of bunch plant into the substrate it usually starts growing roots from the first few nodes above the substrate
Once these have anchored into the substrate the stem below them rots away and the plant is left floating but attached to the substrate by those aerial roots
Sometimes they will pull the bottom of the stem into a nearly horizontal position so that more of them higher up on the stem can reach the substrate

Wow really? I didn't know that. But a lot of them are coming off the stem from really far up, does that mean that most of the plant is going to just die and its going to start over? Will that mess with my water?

I haven't seen any impact on water quality
What these roots mean with regards to plant health would be species dependent
I am not a plant expert and can only speak from my experience over the past year

Back
Top Bottom