What's wrong with my elodea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
The very top parts of my elodeas seems to be growing loads of algae on it but the bottom parts aren't growing any leaves and has a bit of algae growing on it. What should I do?

Attachments

• 1408819704968.jpg
    1408819704968.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 1408819764957.jpg
    1408819764957.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 53
Your Brazilian Water Weed

The very top parts of my elodeas seems to be growing loads of algae on it but the bottom parts aren't growing any leaves and has a bit of algae growing on it. What should I do?

Hello Nick...

It looks to me like it's not getting enough light. This plants grows better if it's floated instead of planted in the bottom material. Light is important, it's the plant's energy source. I keep this plant and float it, so it's close to the light and all the leaves are able to benefit from the light. You need a minimum of a watt per gallon of tank volume for even the easy to grow plants. I use a couple of strips with bulbs from the hardware store. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb for a few dollars each. They'll last well over a year and are fine for any of the dark green aquatic plants.

B

My light is 1.5wpg. Is this good enough? But what explains he algae growing on he elodea if it's not getting enough light?

Algae can grow in very little light. Algae can be opportunistic. It will grow on plants that are not doing so well. One does not often see algae growing on healthy plants.
How big is the tank?
What is the distance in inches/cm from the light to the gravel?
How many bulbs are in the light fixture?
(If you know) Are the bulbs T5 or T-8?
Any other details such watts, temperature (that is the number with the "K" such as 8000K, 6700K, etc) would be helpful.
Tank temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

24 gallons.
2 T8 bulbs, each 18 watts, making 36 watts in total.
30cm from light to gravel.

Don't know the K thingy.

Back
Top Bottom