Whats wrong with sword leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what's wrong with my swords leaves. Just on one of them, the new leaves are coming through all buckled and blistered. They are also a reddish brown colour.
I have got root tabs in the substrate (fine gravel). My lighting is two 15w bulbs, 6000k each. I don't have co2 yet, but am planning on trying it soon. My water test results are :
pH- 7.6
Am- 0
Ni- 0
Na- between 0 and 5.

I tried feeding a liquid feed as the nitrAte is low, but my Vallisneria tend to melt. Any suggestions with that too?

Sorry about the pic quality, taken with an iPhone.

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, sorry. It's 48 litres. About 12 and a half us gallons I think? It's about a foot cubed :) I forgot to attach the photo too, and while uploading it my phone battery ran out, so still trying to upload a photo

Yeah he has root tabs, but I don't believe you have enough light, swords are a medium light plant if i'm correct.

shadowstars123 said:
Yeah he has root tabs, but I don't believe you have enough light, swords are a medium light plant if i'm correct.

She :) I'm a she not a he :) isn't 3 wpg enough? I thought that was fairly high?

shadowstars123 said:
Oops. Thought it was one bulb. Was it grown emmersed?

Lol :) it was Submerse when I got it and has been since. It was a baby that I pulled off a mummy plant that I bought. It had 2 leaves at the time and thrived when I separated the two, but it's recently started growing weird new leaves. I've been trying to upload a pic but keep getting a message about a 'parse error' :mad:

Finally! I downloaded the update and now I can post pics. Tadaa! I know it's not great, but it's the best I can get with my phone.

Attachments

• image-2649176074.jpg
    image-2649176074.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 109
That looks like a deficiency to me. With your low nitrates I think the plant is lacking both nitrates and potassium. I would consider adding a liquid fert, ferts should not melt plants, vals would be effected by Excel which is a carbon supplement not a fert.

rich311k said:
That looks like a deficiency to me. With your low nitrates I think the plant is lacking both nitrates and potassium. I would consider adding a liquid fert, ferts should not melt plants, vals would be effected by Excel which is a carbon supplement not a fert.

Oh ok :) that's cool :) are there any good liquid ferts that you would recommend? They have to be available online or via eBay as I live in the uk. The only one I've been able to get hold of is pretty rubbish. It doesn't even tell you what's in it. Just says 'trace elements'.

Fishies86 said:
Oh ok :) that's cool :) are there any good liquid ferts that you would recommend? They have to be available online or via eBay as I live in the uk. The only one I've been able to get hold of is pretty rubbish. It doesn't even tell you what's in it. Just says 'trace elements'.

Flourish comprehensive is a great liquid fert

Back
Top Bottom