when do you need co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m-man

Aquarium Advice Regular
do you need co2 injection if you keep fish in your planted tank, as fish produce co2, is it not enough

Fish will not cause the level of CO2 to raise above ambient levels. CO2 injections forces extra CO2 into the water. CO2 is helpful at any lighting level, should be considered when you have at least medium light, and is all but mandatory once you reach high light.

You need CO2 injection when your lighting is over 2 - 2.5 watts per gallon. Your fish will not produce enough. Without injection your CO2 levels will be about 3 ppm.

Easiest way to put it. If you want your plants to grow the best they can you need to inject CO2 regardless of what light level you are at. Without it, they will grow slowly and just kinda be there. The choice is how fast you want the plants to grow.

fish_4_all said:
Easiest way to put it. If you want your plants to grow the best they can you need to inject CO2 regardless of what light level you are at. Without it, they will grow slowly and just kinda be there. The choice is how fast you want the plants to grow.

Interesting statement...can you tell me why I have great growth rates, fabulous colors and I don't inject or supplement CO2? It's been a complete mystery to me for the past two years. :)

I do agree that supplementing CO2 is a good idea but it isn't necessary at low light levels.

Back
Top Bottom