When is the best time to fertilize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soulstar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

So I go off to work at 6:15am and get home around 6:00pm.

I usually have the lights come on at 4pm and off at 12am and CO2 on around 2pm and off at 10pm.

Do you guys think it's better I fertilize before leaving for work or after I return?

Thanks in advance!

I'd say after you get home. This way the Co2 is already well concentrated and the ferts will be readily absorbed very quickly. I think the micros will dissipate quickly adding them that early and lights and co2 not coming on for that amount of time

I'd say after you get home. This way the Co2 is already well concentrated and the ferts will be readily absorbed very quickly. I think the micros will dissipate quickly adding them that early and lights and co2 not coming on for that amount of time

Okay makes sense! I have been doing that anyways so that is good news.

Should anyone else have a different opinion, kindly let me know.

Thanks bshenanagins

I think that is the best way also. Otherwise if you would dose in the morning the ferts will basically sit there all day not being utilized.

I think that is the best way also. Otherwise if you would dose in the morning the ferts will basically sit there all day not being utilized.

I think the micros eventually dissipate as well don't they?

Some ferts are more limited in water I just don't know which ones. That's an AquaChem question... lol!

I see what you're saying. But what would it really matter if the ferts sit in the tank? Assuming the ferts are being added properly there won't be a high enough concentration of them to damage anything. It might actually work a little better adding the ferts beforehand since it will give them plenty of time to circulate around the tank.

My vote is to go ahead and throw the fert in before work. It's not going to hurt anything to do so and will prevent the 2 hour time period of low fert levels.

I see what you're saying. But what would it really matter if the ferts sit in the tank? Assuming the ferts are being added properly there won't be a high enough concentration of them to damage anything. It might actually work a little better adding the ferts beforehand since it will give them plenty of time to circulate around the tank.

My vote is to go ahead and throw the fert in before work. It's not going to hurt anything to do so and will prevent the 2 hour time period of low fert levels.

Your opinion is also well noted.

Maybe I should dose half before work and half after work. :)

Once ferts are in the water there is no 2 hour period of low fert levels, they don't need to build up like CO2.

Awhile back this was a discussion on another thread, which I wish I remembered the name of it, but even AquaChem agreed that certain fert levels decreased as the day wore on and dosing them shortly before lights were turned on gave the highest levels of all the ferts being dosed. I know they were micro's. For all the years I've been dosing ferts I've always had excellent results dosing before lights went on. IMO dosing when the lights aren't on and plants aren't photosynthesizing isn't helping plants especially when some lose strength. This is another one of those subjects that is highly debatable.

Once ferts are in the water there is no 2 hour period of low fert levels, they don't need to build up like CO2.

Awhile back this was a discussion on another thread, which I wish I remembered the name of it, but even AquaChem agreed that certain fert levels decreased as the day wore on and dosing them shortly before lights were turned on gave the highest levels of all the ferts being dosed. I know they were micro's. For all the years I've been dosing ferts I've always had excellent results dosing before lights went on. IMO dosing when the lights aren't on and plants aren't photosynthesizing isn't helping plants especially when some lose strength. This is another one of those subjects that is highly debatable.

The 2 hour period I was referring to was the 2 hours between the lights coming on and soulstar getting home to add fertilizers in the tank. I figured it would be better to avoid that period and just get them in the tank when it's most convenient.

Back
Top Bottom