WHen the plant is pearling, does it mean it's doing great?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimeiken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 bunches of parrot's feather in my 2wpg tank and they're pearling like theres no tomorrow, but the bottom leaves are turning redish brown :( When i got them 2 days ago they were all green, now i think the plants are dieing, or is this normal for newly planted plants?

BTW parrot's feather are medium high light plants

In truth, you really shouldn't have medium-to-high light plants in your tank if it's only got 2 wpg... Also, though they can be submerged, Parrot's Feather plants are primarily emergent, so grow from the water into the air, with their stems under water and leaves above. These aside:

Pearling is not uncommon with filamentously-leafed plants (Parrot Feather is quite fine), and is usually a good sign of high oxygen production. You will also see pearling on larger-leafed plants, esp. if these plants are covered in algae. With a short hair algae, the produced oxygen will bubble up and accumulate at the end of these short strands.

When plants are in an aquarium, they often lose many of their lower leaves, as these are exposed to much less light. I found myself with a couple of species that looked like feather dusters a few weeks into my first planted tank, as their upper leaves had gotten enough light, while their lower leaves starved. It does depend on the species, though. I've found Hygros to retail most of their lower leaves since they're hardy plants. But I've found that Cabomba and many more sensitive/higher light plants will lose some of their bottom leaves or leaflets readily.

i know that 2wpg isn't enough for them. Anyway i just hooked up my DIY co2 [only 1 2litre] and i have a 50gal tank, i might need 2 more bottles but when i cam ehome today from school, you should see how much the parrot's feather have grown 8O 8O 8O probably an inch or 2 from yesterday. I'm serious! The top leaves are almost over the water and they're turning red, because they're getting a lot of light up there.

BTW my asian ambulias are growing roots everywhere, from the middle part of the stem to the very top. Is that normal?

I've only ever grown Parrot's feather in my pond, out there it wouldn't grow any submerged leaves. As it was a massive algae collector, I got rid of it after 2 years or so, but yes, in the right conditions, it will grow like wildfire, I don't doubt an inch or more in one day.

Back
Top Bottom