Where am at with my light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm new to planted tanks, but am absolutely in love with them! So I decided to start one of my own after being inspired by looking through all the amazing tanks and info on AA:) My parents decided to surprise me with a gift. So they purchased a national geographic deluxe programmable LED aquarium light. It has 3 LED lights that run 7,000-10,000k according to the box. I am using this light on a 29 gallon tank. Where would this put me as far as low-high light and for future purchases how do I know if it low, medium, or high light.

I understand this is not the best light but it was a gift and I would like to use it. If in the future I need to add another light in addition what would be your suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please dont mind the REALLY foggy water I just filled the tank and it has a sand substrate

Attachments

• 1406826989665.jpg
    1406826989665.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 1406827002285.jpg
    1406827002285.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 1406827013364.jpg
    1406827013364.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 1406827023600.jpg
    1406827023600.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 176
Well you'd have to figure out the PAR values. I did a google search but couldn't find much about it. It seems to be pretty good. If your tank is 16" tall (my memory of the 29 gallon dimensions is hazy) than I would guess you have maybe 60-70 PAR at substrate, but that is a complete guess. It looks pretty good. It is $117 at Petsmart's website. That's more expensive than a finnex ray 2, which would give you medium-high light, so I'd say it's pretty good.

Well you'd have to figure out the PAR values. I did a google search but couldn't find much about it. It seems to be pretty good. If your tank is 16" tall (my memory of the 29 gallon dimensions is hazy) than I would guess you have maybe 60-70 PAR at substrate, but that is a complete guess. It looks pretty good. It is $117 at Petsmart's website. That's more expensive than a finnex ray 2, which would give you medium-high light, so I'd say it's pretty good.

How would I figure out my PAR? Also what is it lol 29 gallon is 18" but I have about 2-3" of substrate so its about 15-16" to substrate. I actually have the 24" with adjustable legs so it sits on top if my tank. No hood on the tank atm.

How would I figure out my PAR? Also what is it lol 29 gallon is 18" but I have about 2-3" of substrate so its about 15-16" to substrate. I actually have the 24" with adjustable legs so it sits on top if my tank. No hood on the tank atm.

You would need a PAR meter which is quite expensive. You don't need to buy it though. You could rent/borrow it or just find the PAR values online.

I know this post is several months old now, but I recently got back into the aquarium hobby and setup up a 29 gallon tank. When picking up some items from PetSmart, I saw the exact same light mentioned here (24 inch NatGeo Deluxe Programmable) and picked it up after reading a little bit about it. I knew I wanted to have a planted tank, and took a chance with this light. I used FloraMax for my substrate and the plants I have seem to be doing okay currently with this light, but I know it could be brighter.

I was wondering what the verdict was for you. Did it do well? I'm currently debating either picking up another 24 inch Deluxe model, but because I think this may end up being too much light, I thought about just getting the regular 24 inch model. It wouldn't be programmable, but I do have a power strip with a timer built in. I thought about using this new light (either model) to create a "high-noon" scenario in the tank. Maybe only have both lights on together for 4-5 hours and then just have 1 light the rest of the time.

Any input would be welcome.

I have this light on one of my non planted 55's and would say its low light. At 21" if I had to guess compared to my ecoxotic on my 20 planted I would say the par is around 20-30.

I have this light on one of my non planted 55's and would say its low light. At 21" if I had to guess compared to my ecoxotic on my 20 planted I would say the par is around 20-30.

I actually wouldn't have guessed it would be even that (of course, I am not an expert when it comes to light). So, if I were to pick up another deluxe light, would you say that would be enough to provide about medium light (about 18 inches to the bottom with the lights mounted on the top). Also, I'd only be using liquid carbon.

I actually wouldn't have guessed it would be even that (of course, I am not an expert when it comes to light). So, if I were to pick up another deluxe light, would you say that would be enough to provide about medium light (about 18 inches to the bottom with the lights mounted on the top). Also, I'd only be using liquid carbon.

You are probably right The ecoxotic is about 55 at 21" so its most likely around 20 at 16" I think with 2 you may be at the high end of low lighting. Brookster or fresh would be better to answer this. I'm just guessing by comparing what I see with them both. If you are going to buy another light The finnex planted 24/7 is on pre order at amazon and is under $100.

Back
Top Bottom